Mackensen Begins

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Dec 30, 2012.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

2. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Stopping by to say "Thank You Greg" Got my Mac a month ago and it is a thing of Beauty! Hope to have a place to build it this winter, the house we were looking to buy turned out to have too many problems, (now wife is less than happy with me for not wanting to way overpay for a Pile) :( And the beat goes on!

3. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

ok so the last couple of days my mind has been pondering potential batle strategies for the Mac and with my Impero in the lack of guns limbo Mac project is center stage. This got me thinking of internal layouts and one of the things I was wondering about was if anyone has a relativly accurate top view image to give an accurate layout? Specifically the torpedo locations. Trying to see if it is even feasible to arm them. I see the conways pdf says 1 in bows and two on either broadside forward and aft of torp bulkhead for a total of 5.

4. GregMcFadden

check out sms mackensen 3d. you can see the bow torp there.. I can not for the life of me figure out where the remainder are

5. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Hey Greg, do you happen to have just the main turret as a cad file? I was thinking of asking Tugboat to print me one if he is willing.

6. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I must be looking at this wrong but it appears that the torp tube was literally in the bow....below the water?

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It is raining like mad outside, so there is no temptation to sneak out to the shop. Today is (after breakfast, a 'get printing' day, and I will hopefully have pretty pictures for show and tell very soon (today). Probably some really ugly ones too as I adjust the settings. Greg already sent me the Littorio main turrets to test how they turn out, and they'll be the first 'real' things printed after calibration is done. If I do well enough to impress him, maybe we'll see more printed goodies :)

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

@Jstod, in WWI capital ships, the torpedo tubes were all below the water.

9. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

weird...... you wouldnt happen tp know were the other 4 are on this one?

10. GregMcFadden

I have the turret file in cad, it is in the group of files tug can have if the littorio files work for him... Tugboat, I forget, did I ever get you the split apart littorio superstructure model?

yep. bow tube below water line.. I do not know where the others are

11. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

The other four are on the side (2 port, 2 starboard). If you look at this drawing on Wiki it will show the approximate location as little squares: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mackensen_class_battlecruisers_scetch.svg

12. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

ok...drats that might nix that potential strategy....

13. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Bow tubes are great for convoy ships trying to get under your guns...

14. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

hey what the distance from the bottom to the waterline?

15. GregMcFadden

2.611 inches at max scale displacement, 2.33 at min scale displacement

16. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

cool thanks!

17. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ok I am trying to figure out were the location of the Torpedos and I found a coup photos online of Mac drawings. Here is one of the drawings:http://www.sms-navy.com/bc/sms_bc_mackensen.htm

Based on this which rib wold you say the torpedos are closest to? (they are marked as the little squares beneath the waterline) The forward one seems to be just in front of Rib 7 and the aft one looking to be between ribs 23 and 24. What do yall think?

18. GregMcFadden

Let me look. I can't wait till summer when I have time to work on boats again.... Have to get past a test in april and through all these long work days first

Looks to be right at balloon note 24 (rib marked 21 by etch)

And at balloon note 7 rib in the bow. I believe she had a straight forward bow torp as well about 2/3 of the way up the angled bow section

19. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Yes thats what it looked like to me but wanted to get second opinions. to double check. I actually thought about arming the bow torpedo along with the other four but not sure I want to cut up that beautiful laser cut bow. With the way the WWCC rules are set up the torps will have to be 1/4" above the waterline so installing them means literally drilling a hole in the balsa similar to a pump outlet

20. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

She did have a bow torpedo tube. You can clearly see the notch in the bow profile where it was located.

http://www.sms-navy.com/bc/SMS_Mackensen-launch_17Apr1917-2.jpg