Magazine size question

Discussion in 'Big Gun Combat Warship International' started by Tugboat, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Out of curiosity, how many rounds per gun on a battleship would you big gun guys consider the minimum acceptable? 50? 75? 100?

2. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

Based on what I've read, I'd say 75.

3. Tugboat

Oh, good. I've been working on a cannon and that's acheivable in my build envelope.

4. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

Are you building a big gun ship?

5. Tugboat

Battlestations ship (and possibly SMS Graf Spee), but duals should fit in a 1/144 size turret, which is why I was asking (Axis, Banzai!!!). Not sure if triples would fit in a 1/144 turret smaller than a Yamato (Axis, Banzai!!!). They're 1/4" cannons, and the rate of fire will be low by fast gun standards, but plenty faster than legal in big gun or Battlestations.

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I've seen some boats with 25 per barrel, but that's pretty small. Those were generally used for smaller boats without much space or weight. 50 is a medium load, it'll take some decent fighting to run through that much. 75 is a good goal. You can go through it with some really heavy fighting, but in most battles you should still have a few rounds left at the end. I favor larger bottles, so I've hardly ever run out of gas if I got a good fill, but it can happen (especially when the refill station runs low). 100 rounds per barrel is for a long haul, and you'll need extra CO2 for that as well.

7. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

My triple 1/4 cannon each carry a touch over 150 rounds each, and I still run out of ammo, lol.

8. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Is that per barrel, or total?

9. Tugboat

In news that affects my new cannons... I just successfully printed my first objects on the 3D printer :) Pics in the Construction forum.

In more directly related news, my materials for said 1/4" cannons arrived from McMaster today.

10. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

The dual 7/32" cannons that I had in my Gustav V for Battlestations have double layer magazine with a capacity of over 400. I used less than 1/4 of that during two events.
    My current build will be a less than 50 per barrel, but I am limited to the amount of CO2 I can carry.

Is another MWU build thread for big-gun cannons in the future?

11. Tugboat

'm going to have them tested before I do anything like that :) But just about all the metal involved is stainless steel. Should have no issues with water nor high pressure CO2 (what passes for high pressure in our hobby, anyhow).