Video MaruCam! [All 3 Finished Videos in First Post]

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by NickMyers, Oct 3, 2011.

1. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Nikki, have you gone to Wikipedia yet? Look up the ship there. Between that and a calculator, you can find out all the information you need to know.

Go to Wikipedia, look up the length of the ship. Divide by 144 and you'll get the number of inches long the Maru is. Take that number, and subtract 28. Then you'll know how much bigger the Maru is than your LST.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Actually Keri, for the Maru that'd be a near impossibility. There is no article for the Mehoshi Maru.

Nikki, the original Mehoshi Maru plans would result in a ship with 35 inch length, 4.5 inch beam and 2 inch draft. Mine is a little oversize by 1/8" in beam and length and fully ballasted weighs 8.6lbs.

3. KeriMorgret

Wait, you mean there's something that Wikipedia doesn't have an article for? Wow! I just assumed there'd be something out there on it. Sorry about that!

4. NickMyers

Nope. I'm not sure anyone even knows what ship the 'real' Mehoshi Maru was. Back in the interwar period there were probably hundreds of all very similar oilers in service that were all one-offs and varying a little bit here, a little bit there.

5. KeriMorgret

I knew we had one in our club, so I just assumed it was an actual thing and not a "Willie Makeit".

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I found a Japanese tanker that matched up pretty closely, that I believe is it. I'll see if I can find it again.

7. NickMyers

I found one once too, from the interwar period, but for the life of me I can't find it anymore. It'd be interesting if we found the same one.

8. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

Huh, I had a Mehoshi Maru...kinda. I found the plans on here and built the hull only. Sheeted it in 1/8 balsa instead of 1/16 and it made an awesome target/gun testing ship. Really... isn't that all a transport really is anyway in this hobby?

After we were done using it for a target we lit it on fire and let it burn its self to the waterline and sink in the middle of my parent's pond. I figure that was a better death then a garbage can for a ship.

I keep wanting to build another to actually use, it was a cool ship.

9. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

In the Ausbg, merchants ARE the game.
    You can't score points without merchants, and the protecting and attacking of merchants puts the skills of the warship skippers to a real test.
    No "death or glory" stuff, but tactics, skill and guile.
    If you sail recklessly and get sunk, not only your merchants will pay the price.
    This makes ships like Mehosi Maru a very valuable assest to a team.

10. NickMyers

In our local club, last year we experienced a period of time where only 2 or 3 captains were on the water but we almost always had friends or guests with. This period of time also coincided with the readiness of the Maru for battle. Because it is easier to sink a cargo ship with a micro pump than a warship with a full size pump we began sailing the Maru as the target of battles. Some battles we have another cargo ship or two enter the fray as well. The cargos are always captained by guests, interested onlookers or captains whose ships have failed them. We have never taken a captain out of a working ship to run a convoy.

We set up a 2 or 3 buoy course, the cargo ships must make 3 complete circuits of the course and at each buoy must circle the buoy. The warships are split into attacking and defending teams - we tried sailing convoys for both teams simultaneously and the results were so-so, I think we just don't quite have enough ships to both defend and attack yet. As the convoys finish the course they may exit the battle. We don't score points, failure to sink the convoy is a loss for the attackers and a win for the defenders. We generally sink the convoy about 50% of the time.

Almost every sortie of every battle is played with convoy action and as far as I'm aware, once people have played it, there have been no complaints. It is also a great way for interested folk to experience the game and to interest random people walking by.

11. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

I really like the idea of an all or nothing game. Convoy makes its run then the defending team wins. Convoy is destroyed attacking team wins. Warship sinks don't matter damage doesn't matter. The convoy is the game.

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I love the AusBG's scoring system. It places the game's emphasis on a strategic objective (getting the transports through) rather than a simple tactical objective (sink the other guy). This opens up so many more paths to victory. If the other team has the biggest, baddest battleship in the club, all you have to do is distract it while your transports sneak past. If the other team has a squadron of torpedo-boats, you could launch more transports than they have torpedo-boats, or form a tight box formation around a couple transports, or blockade their port so they cannot return to port for reloading. Just as appealing to me, the lack of points for damaging and sinking warships means you can be push your ship to its limits without fear that you'll lose the game because of massive sink points.

The only problem with the AusBG method, if we want it in the WWCC, is the absurd difficulty of sinking some of the transports. The original Mehoshi Maru, built by the current club president when he re-joined the club in 2004, is easily sinkable but more recently built ships like the Silverfishes and Willie Maykett are far harder to take down. Their small size and maneuverability combined with the WWCC's outlet-based pump rules makes them virtually unsinkable, barring mechanical failure. I almost regret ever building them. I'd love to try the AusBG scoring system once we figure out either how to score the midget transports fairly, or how to hunt the pesky things.

13. hairy_apple

hairy_apple Member

See, I love that idea. There are soooo many differant ways we could play, but we dont'. I'd love to see some more objective based games out there. "Sink the Bismark".. pick one big bad ship and have the object be to protect or destroy that ship and that ship alone. Points don't matter, sinks don't matter. The outcome is based on saving or killing the "Bismark".

Convoy boats open up so many objective based games. Have ALL the convoy boats on one side. That side has to have the convoy make there laps around the markers like normal, only they are the objective. Not scoring points. If the convoy is destroyed in x amount of time, or say a percentage of the convoy is destroyed. Attacking force wins. If x percentage of convoy survives, defending force wins. It would be a lot of fun beucase without worrying about sinks or damage the warships would be free do let themselves get pounded on a lot more to protect the convoy.

Hum, maybe a "Samar" battle. All the big ships on one side, all the small boats on one team. Go for 15 minutes and see who comes out on top?

14. NickMyers

This is exactly how we run our battles - and we have seen some good warship sinks as a result. The Richeliue makes a fantastic convoy shield, being 6ft long, but absorbs a lot of damage in the process and has been sunk a few times as a result.