Maximum Thrust

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Kotori87, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

A couple of my mechanic buddies on the Georgia are looking for some advice for a project they are working on. They like to go shark-fishing on weekends, but don't like using a kayak to tow the fishing line and bait out past the surf. Their project is to build an RC vehicle to do the towing for them. This vehicle has to be tough enough to operate in heavy surf, powerful enough to carry a large load, and be able to release the sharkbait beyond the surf and return to shore.

My suggestion to them was to model their project after a submarine, then omit the ballast tanks. The idea has merit: the standard model submarine has a well-sealed watertight box, plows through waves rather than trying to ride over them, and can be equipped with a large "bomb bay" to carry sharkbait with minimum drag. For stability, all ballast can be carried a few inches below the hull in a sailboat-style weighted drop keel. The big remaining question is drive train. What kind of propulsion should it use? I intend to use a large kort nozzle, complete with thrust ring, and use a high-torque motor with reduction gear. I just don't know how big of a prop I can turn, or how big of a motor can be used.

My other proposal was to 3d print a large model of the Space Battleship Yamato, but I couldn't convince them to pay for a wave motion engine ;)

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Cool! That's exactly what they're looking for.