May 1st Battle! [Now With Photos!]

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by NickMyers, Apr 25, 2011.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Just a note here that we will be battling this Sunday, May 1st at Swan Creek in Tacoma - rain or shine. The plan is to battle at 11 so come as early as you need to in order to set up, test and tweak ships and BS with your fellow captains.
    As always, visitors are welcome and bring your safety glasses!

2. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

RE: May 1st Battle! I not free until after May 15th

3. NickMyers

RE: May 1st Battle! I think we're going to be moving the battle of the 15th to the 22nd so you'll get a May battle atleast. :)

4. phill

phill Active Member

RE: May 1st Battle!
    Lots of gravel but there is still enough water for a modest battle.

5. NickMyers

RE: May 1st Battle! We were at Swan Creek on the 16th and there was plenty of pond. Has anyone been by Coal Creek recently?

6. NickMyers

RE: May 1st Battle! I'd rate the May 1st battle as a success. We had the Westfalen, Suffren, Insufferable and Maru on the water with 3 sinks - 2 combat sinks by the Maru and 1 self-inflicted by the Westfalen. The Maru fared well enough for the most part excepting its terrible fate when it got hung up on the stern of the Invincible and then the final indignation in the last battle of the day when her rudder chain was snapped by a lucky bb.

I'll try to get some pictures cropped and uploaded.

7. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

RE: May 1st Battle! Hey now, the I-boat was not insufferable!!! More like she was the Inconceivable in that she would work so well no one could believe it.

8. NickMyers

RE: May 1st Battle! It made me into a believer for a few minutes at least.. which alone is quite inconceivable. It really is amazing what a little bit of proper balancing and components being held properly in place will do for a ship.

9. NickMyers

RE: May 1st Battle!
    Photos from the May 1 battle...

In no particular order, the day's contestants...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And some event action
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Course hazard?
    [​IMG]
    What WCC event is complete without some deck seal / internal hold-down testing?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Those are some great looking pictures. We need to get more Videos as well. So, can post them on youtube

11. NickMyers

Thanks.

We need to find someone else to do pictures and video. It is becoming increasingly apparent that I can't captain a ship and shoot pictures, let alone video, at the same time. Once I have the Derf in combat the problem is only going to increase. I'm happy to continue editing and posting pictures if someone else is taking them, that's no problem - I've been way behind on getting them up this year because I've been trying to finish other projects (Derf mainly) in my spare time.

The tripod mounted stationary cameras that I tried didn't result in very great video, without a human panning, zooming and generally track action, the video was very stiff, boring and hard to follow, especially as action moved on and off camera. In the end, timecoding and splicing the two video streams was just too much work for a subpar result.

If you know anyone that wants to come out and shoot video, I have decent access to decent gear at work. I'd rather not haul out the prosumer grade 2500$ Sony HD, but I can bring the smaller Canon Vixia handhelds without a problem, can even bring a tripod. Like with the photos, I can go through and edit the footage shot and post it after.

12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

You should bring it just in case somebody's ship dies or we get an on looker who wants to help.