MAYhem approaches!!

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Tugboat, May 24, 2010.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

This weekend! BBs! Boats! Battle Royale!
    Hope to see everyone lakeside! We will have two first-timers... one is a friend of Christopher and Stefan and will be running around in the Lion, and the other is a doctor that I work with who will be in one of Brian's cruisers.

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

All I can say is: Beware the French Pre-Dreadnaughts! ;)

3. Tugboat

is that an intentional plural PDN(s)????

Having second thoughts about the Musashi project. My knee went out BAD this past weekend, contemplating something smaller. Maybe Pommern or something.But I'd love to have one of the big ones.

4. mike5334

Just finish the tank and use it to pull a boat trailer around for the big boats. :)

5. Tugboat

Ya know, that may be a very good idea...

6. zackcon2

zackcon2 Member

ill be there atleast i can watch. hopefuly next time ill have something to show.

7. Tugboat

See you there Zach!

8. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Great battles this weekend, we had I think 12 boats on the water, one great fire, one of Don C batteries exploded, caught the other 3 packs on fire, so 4 packs down the drain. Luckly I had brought all my batteries, so we had enough for the both of us.

We needed them, because Clark aka Tuggy thought he could talk the talk, and walk the walk to Don and I on Sunday morning since he survived all day Saturday without sinking. He was not a target on Saturday, but we let him know on the next sortie he would get our complete undivided attention. I think he lasted maybe 5 minutes, lessen learned, never laugh at the fellows with the class 5 boats, when you have a class 2, 26 second boat yourself.

But actually he did really great with it, I was quite impressed with how it ran. I think I would change the gun setup on it, but thats just me.

My Benbow was the only class 4 and above that did not sink, took very little damage overall, compaired to what I dished out. The new guns, and gun setup worked flawlessly all weekend for me, so a nice change of pace, everything working for 3 straight days with a glitch is like a miracle.

9. Tugboat

From an alternate perspective, I as a 2.5 unit 26-sec armored cruiser wanted to have some fun and get my feet wet, so I taunted* two 5.5 unit BB captains intentionally, because really, I wasn't getting enough attention on the water :) Dave and Don were kind enough to help me cool off on a hot not-yet-summer day.

The Iron Ducks are frustrating targets because of all that casement area. Someday I really must build Pommern and get at them again with Mike's Verite.

We did see (but sadly not film) the most epic sink ever, as during one battle, one of Tim's small gas lines blew, blowing open a section of hull with a loud POP, followed by a rapid sink, with 'smoke' pouring from the hole... It really looked like the ship was on fire as it went under stern first. Most impressive.

I have figured out that my 10+ year old lightweight regulator is not putting out nearly 140psi... closer to 100 psi, which makes the guns go psh vice bang. I cleaned it out, oiled it, still only 110psi consistently. I'm going to try a thin shim under the spring and see what the results are. I want to get to 140-145psi, but no higher.

* As I recall, my words were: "You guys can't sink me! Bring it on!" :) Not asking for a pounding at ALL...

10. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Well it took a pounding to put you down, LOL. We wanted you to have some fun, and it did do a pretty good job of advoiding us. Best part is that it looks like a fun ship to run around the pond on.

Side note, Don C made a donation of some parts to Zack, so others of us also pitched in. I think he has just about what he needs now to finished his VDT. So hopefully it will be in a battle this year. Don and I need some more targets, LOL.

11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

POMMERN!!!!

She knows how to go out with a bang. Plus her looks were never messed up by those rebuilds in the 1930's. Trunking stacks 1 & 2 just looked wrong.

12. Tugboat

She has all kinds of casements and looks like she'd be the Evil Bathtub Toy of DOOM(tm). Also a considerably more advantageous structure than Evstafi. I'd been thinking about doing 2 or 3 Z-boats to raise money for boat projects, maybe Pommern would be a good choice.

13. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I have no interest in Z Boats. Hocheseeflotte would tempt me by I am a Royal Navy man at heart.

As to Pommern, that was one of my ships of choice when I was toying with the Dark Side, until I looked at the casemates and decided she was a bit over my skill range at the time. I still love the looks of the Kaiser's light cruisers....sleek.

14. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Hey Tug, I know where you can get a reg that is even more lightweight that you can adjust anywhere from 0-150psi. =]

15. mike5334

Heh Keri. Most of the guys in Region 3 have seen the Strike Models adjustable regulator with favorable reviews. I'm using one in the little Verite and love it. Mine actually goes up to 155 psi, so it's adjusted down slightly to 145.

The regulator has not failed yet. Two drops of oil in the ASA at the start of the weekend keeps it ticking. :)

Thinking of picking up one of the non-adjustable versions for a cruiser. :)

16. Tugboat

Keri, I am planning an order to you guys next Friday (coincidentally payday) for one of your adjustable regulators for Scharnie. The Strike fixed reg that I already have is for my destroyer at the moment :) Cause it's THAT light :)