Mega Build update

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Nov 4, 2010.

1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Good Lord Curt. That is a lot. I haven't looked at the Tennessee in a few months. It is time to get back to it. Although a new pump motor and wiring will be done. As well as some new servos and trays.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hey Paul I checked out the pics. I see where the problem is with the Southy. You can fill it in with Bondo then resin over or you can leave this project and just get the Southy from Strike. If you sell the Rodney you can use that money to purchase a new hull and stuff from Strike for a new Southy.

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Just so I understand. Place a layer of bindo on the bottom of the hull to make it flat and then resin it?

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Just the area where it's concaved. Looks like it's forward of the center section of the hull between the bow and on the sbtd or port side...can't remember. Have to look at the pic again. Nelson hull is not too bad. Some minor issues that can be corrected.
    If you don't thnk you have use for it let me know. Charlie here would buy it and build it.That would give me an opponent or Allie other than Tom and we could get the club moving along here.

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I dont see a problem selling the Nelson. I would not be considering building it for a year anyway. I will see if I have the turrets. I also have a set of plans I think. I will let you know. The southy has a ridge running the entire length of the hull in the middle. I am almost thinking the entire bottom has to built up to a flat and then resined.

6. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Paul,
    Is that Nelson hull Ralph's first version or one of the later and more accurate ones we collaborated on? The plans we used for the second version were much better.
    Bob

7. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Hi Bob. I think it would be the second one but I am not sure.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Back at the Mo yesterday. Had a major setback. Issue with cutting out the forward hatch. Lets say that I sliced through 4 ribs and had to repair them, the hatch was not flush anymore and the subdeck was chopped. I DID NOT have a good day yesterday. I will be back at it again Friday with a better plan of approach for the remaining hatches to cut out while I repair the subdeck and fix up the forward hatch and repair the ribs....sigh.. .moth away and I forgot some basic methodology.

9. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    That sucks!
    it's a good thing you have like 50 other ships ; )

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Geez that sucks Curt. I haven't even had time to start work on anything of mine. i suppose I should clean the garage and then hop to it.

11. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Wow Curt that sucks...but you know it's Karma right.
    Teach you build an Allied ship :ermm::ermm:o_O
    J

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looks like I will have to find another way to cut the hatches out. The small circular blades for the dremel I checked every store in the city and they don't have them. I have to scribe and cut them tedious as it is .

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

let me take a look here Curt here. So what type of blades are you looking for?

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul. I was successful in getting the assorted blades however I ended up not using them but instead went back to the Oscillator semi circular wood cutting blade which I took my time with.I successfully cut out the main and rear hatch and popped themoff the subdeck support rail with little issue. The forward hatch has the edges wrapped in styrene to fill in the gaps created by my poor cutting. Next step is to trim the backing and test fit th forward hatch. Reinforce the cross braces with supports and install the barbettes permamently.

After I clean up the subdeck rail with a fine sander the next move will be to cut out the shaft locations and rudder locations,build the skegs and install the stuffing tubes.
    It will be Thursday before I can get back at this .

15. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

It's still going to be an allied ship
    Boring
    everybody's doing allied this year ; )

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Keep a close eye on the mast of Mo Iceman.. I think it may fly a Jolly Roger and you know what that means.... can never allie your self with a pirate.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

UPDATE of MO. Hatches fitting out completed. Hatches sit nice and snug. Barbettes installed. Starboard shaft outlet drilled out and test fitted the starboard(right) prop stuffing tube and shaft. Lined up really nice.Marked out rudder placement holes.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok made some small progress yesterday. I got the skegs cut out and shaped to fit the hull underside. Both stuffing tubes and shafts are in place and lined up. Next step is to secure the stuffing tubes permeanently and attach the skegs and seal to the hull underside. Once that's done Rudders and motor mounts are next.

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Finally have the skegs attached and glassed with fiberglass matt cloth. Main stuffing tubes are sealed into the hull. I need to trim the excess and install foam carved to shape and contour the outside edge of the skeg then layering with cloth not matt untillthe contour blends into the hull bottom and conforms to the hull shape. The bottom edge of the skegs need to be trimmed down to level out with the hull bottom. Once completed I will be workig on the interior of the hull.

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Update. Nearly have the skegs fully finished. Just a thin layer of bondo to smooth out and lightly sand. Stuffing tubes are nearly completed. Prop shafts in place along with the props and rudders. Next to flip the hull over and finish sleeving the stuffing tubes, drill for a lube port and insert port filling tube. Attach motor mounts. Think I will use the gears and motor mounts I had purchased. Dont' want them to go to waste might as well use them. From there it's all interior work. Making slow but good progress. The Skeg building took up a lot of time but the end result is worth it. I like a clean finish under the hull . I was able to contour the skegs to the hull shape. I got pics to post but for some reason my computer will not display the windows photo manager off the SD card. I will have to get them on to cd and xfr them from cd to the computer.