Mega Build update

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Nov 4, 2010.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/...202011-12/ Here is a link to my pics on the skeg work and some of the other ship projects. One of them may confuse you. It's the Tirpitz hull with the IOWA superstructure sitting on it. I call it the "Bismo" .

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Any Pep to it?

3. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Curt, that sounds like a hypothetical, are they legal in CWC-X?? :)
    J

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sure their legal. Honestly Jay that's Tom Cromwel's superstructure sitting on top of my Tirpitz hull. I laid it there temporarily but I thought it looked cool. I think I allowed the Montana and the Soviet one there along with the German H class ships. There's a few hypos that could work but there's not many of them with plans.

5. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

You know, if you put the Russian bow on the Montana hull and then the H39 ss on top you would have a totaly awesome ship!!
    J

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Udate. Skegs are just about finished. Just a light sanding . Sleeving the stuffing tubes done. Prop shafts installed. Props on. Rudders on. Rudder posts secured. Motor mounts installed and secured to the interior of the hull. Some light sanding of the hull and weatherdeck. Just need to install the gears and thrust bearings, mount the motors themselves.
    Next day once the drive system is complete the pump mount will be made and installed. Pump outlet will be installed. Waterchannelling will be installed.

Tom has started to install his cannons. I resin the barbette mounting plates for the cannons. Tom did additional work to the layout of the interior.

I took plenty of pics this time and will be posting them here before Monday.

I was going to go direct drive but seeing as how I had the BC gear system I figured I may as well use them. Tom's Iowa is direct drive and he will be using a ESC.

The skegs were time consuming but in the end worth it. They are very strong but add to the hull bottom 's appearance. I have plenty of room to position the props as close to the prop or as far back to the skeg face. I can install small or large props 2 or multiblade any pitch. So that should be great for options.

The pump looks like it will be positioned behind the motors at the lowest flattest point in the hull.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff65/runabout1/ this link will take you to the next set of pics of the Missouri build. from Feb 25/2011.

Tom's Iowa is in this batch showing the interior layout so far. More work to be done but were making progress.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Made great progress today. Skegs are done.. finito.. completed. Waterchannelling done. Battery mounts .. done. Hatch fitting. Done. Barbette plates installed. Hull cleaned of all excess crap. Done.
    Tomorrow I lube the stuffing tubes and install the shafts and the gears. Then attach the motors.
    Pump outlet will be installed. Pump will be installed.
    Rudder posts will be lubed. Rudder arms reinstalled and adjusted.
    Build Radio box.
    Install deck switches.
    Build stern gun tubs and install.
    Install Armor.
    Install bilge keels
    Install dummy shafts and drag props.

Sunday. Hope to start sheeting the hull by then.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

More progress today though not as much done as I had hoped. However I managed to get one wing dummy shaft in place and need to do the other one. You can check out todays's pics at this link
    http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff65/runabout1/

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok I repaired the major goof for the wing shaft and made a new hole and had it corrected within a half hour. Now both wing shafts are in place. They are reinforced and secured with fiberglass cloth. Just need to make the support brackets. I trimmed down the blades of the main props so they wouldn't strike each other. Cleaned up more of the interior.
    Next will be sanding and cleaning up the wing shafts and mounting the drag discs and props to them. Now we get to the Meat of the build which is getting the internals installed. Once done the hull will get sheeted.