Micro CO 2 regulator

Discussion in 'General' started by Don Askew, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Don Askew

Don Askew New Member

I recently saw a micro regulator however I didn't book make the page. this one use threaded CO@ cartridges and was adjustable to 150 PSI. Does anyone knw where to get one?

2. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

3. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a lightweight regulator for a destroyer, take a look at this thread:
    https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/destroyer-regulator-trials.446480/
    I put a number of regulators through their paces, to find out the strengths and weaknesses of each. Not all CO2 regulators are created equal, and some of them cannot stand up to the abuse we subject them to.

5. Don Askew

Don Askew New Member

Thank you all for the input. It looks like single shot torpedo's are getting installed for simplicity.

6. Kotori87

The Big Gun use-case, especially for torpedo cannons, is quite a bit different from the Fast Gun use-case. Palmer's regulators seem to do better in that role. I've been doing a lot of cannon testing recently so I'll do today's round of testing with a Palmers regulator and 16-gram cartridge instead of my shop air compressor.

7. Kotori87

Finally got around to testing the Palmer's Micro Rock with 16-gram cartridge with a Big Gun cannon. The experience was, as expected, quite different from the fast-gun experience. I was particularly testing a JEV exhaust valve firing a twin 7/32" cannon at higher pressures than my shop air compressor can reach. The JEV was supplied from a MAT-2 2cu.in. accumulator, and regulator output pressure was initially set to 145PSI. As the regulator cooled with use, output pressure did rise somewhat. Highest observed was 160PSI, then I turned it back down to 150 and it held steady. At no point did the regulator freeze or fail, unlike when firing a Fast Gun cannon. For some reason the slower, larger transients from Big Gun cannons are less impactful than the short, sharp pressure transients from firing Fast Gun cannons. Since I was carefully logging pressures and muzzle velocity, actual firing rate was comparable to a torpedo-boat, not a battleship, with about 1 shot every 30-60sec. Unfortunately there was a leak in my setup, but I was still able to get 11 full-power shots before the cartridge ran dry. Fix the leak, and that would easily be sufficient for a torpedo-destroyer.

In summary, the micro-rock is well-suited to a torpedo-armed Big Gun destroyer. Not so well-suited for a Fast Gun destroyer.

buttsakauf likes this.