Midwest Naval Combat Club schedule

Discussion in 'Midwest Naval Combat Club' started by froggyfrenchman, May 12, 2012.

1. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Our first battle this season is coming up on April 20-21 at the Versailles, Ohio battle site.
    Currently it looks like there will be a pretty good turn-out for the Treaty boats.
    We are hoping there will be some Battlestations battles as well at this event, but we are not sure
    at this point.
    Hopefully we will at least get some of the Battlestations boats on the water for some sea trials.
    Mikey

2. froggyfrenchman

Our next battle is scheduled for Memorial Day weekend. May 24-27. Friday through Monday. At the Xenia, Ohio battle site.
    We anticipate both Treaty and Battlestations battles. And we will be re-enactive the Battle of the Denmark Straits, and the
    Bismarck's last stand.
    Mikey

3. froggyfrenchman

We are holding our spring regionals battle out in Xenia, Ohio this weekend.
    The plan is to re-enact the battle of the Denmark Straits tomorrow (May 24) with the Treat boats, and have some mini-fleet battles.
    On Saturday, we anticipate 2-3 Treaty battles. And the Battlestations folks may have some battles as well. And we have the option to have a second
    Battle of the Denmark Straits re-enactment if we decided to do that.
    On Sunday, we anticipate both Treaty and Battlestations battles, we may opt to have the Bismarck's last battle re-enactment.
    On Monday, we anticipate re-enacting the Bismarck's last battle, and at least one Treaty fleet battle, and hopefully a couple Battlestations battles.
    Mikey

4. froggyfrenchman

We have a boat display coming up in Dayton on June 9.
    We have a 2-day battle coming up in Versailles, Ohio on June 22-23.
    We have our Clash of the Titans event coming up in the Dayton area on July 5-7.
    We have approached Roland about trying to set up a battle in Hinckley in the near future with the site owner.
    We were not able to get a Battlestations battle going in April or May. But we anticipate some Battlestations battles
    at the June and July events for sure.
    Mikey

5. froggyfrenchman

John has a long mustache..

6. froggyfrenchman

We have a local 2-day battle scheduled this coming weekend in Versailles, Ohio.
    We will have Treaty and Battlestations boats at this event.
    Some of the folks are thinking about building on Sunday instead of battling, so
    that they can get started on a couple new Battlestations projects.
    But most of the locals plan to be at the battle on Saturday.
    Mikey

7. froggyfrenchman

We had a great event this past weekend.
    A great turn-out on Saturday, with a few new folks.
    It was really hot, but the rain stayed away.
    We worked on the battle site some and cleaned out a good portion of the moss.
    The Shinano was smoking early in the day for some reason, and she actually sank later on in the day.
    On Sunday we had a lot of the folks building at home in order to get some more Battlestations boats
    on the water for the up-coming July 5-7 event, so the turn-out was light. But we got a battle in so that
    the kids could have another crack at the Shinano. So it was Shinano against the world.
    The big Jap carrier got shot up pretty good, but didn't even come close to sinking. Didn't even start smoking.
    It was great fun.
    After Gerry and the kids left, I worked around the battle site a little more, and took the Alsace out for some
    short sea trials. She ran great, and is very close to being ready for the clash of the Titans battle in two weeks.
    The rain stayed away again on Sunday.
    I do not think we got any of the Battlestations boats on the water this weekend.

Our next event is a boat display this coming Sunday in Dayton.

After that we have our 3-day Clash of the Titans event in Dayton on July 5-7.
    (Edit). We have decided to have the Clash of the Titans event at the Versailles, Ohio battle site.
    Mikey

8. froggyfrenchman

We have a boat display this coming Saturday in Dayton at the Wegerzyn Gardens metro-park.
    I will be displaying the Denmark Straits boats.
    Some of the locals are considering running some boats around on the pond there.

The battle in Hinckley has been canceled.
    So our next battle is the Taskforce 2 event in Xenia, Ohio Sept 27-29.
    Mikey

9. froggyfrenchman

Our next scheduled battle is in Versailles, Ohio on Oct 26-27.
    This will most likely be a local battle for the most part, as some of the folks from the outlying regions will have just been in
    town for the Taskforce 2 event, and/or the big Battlestations build this coming weekend.
    Mikey

10. froggyfrenchman

The Dayton area folks have decided to put off the Versailles, Ohio battle that was scheduled for this weekend.

We have a couple projects that are slightly behind schedule, and the weather is looking really cold.

It is suppose to be around freezing every night, and the highs are only in the low 50s both days.

So we are planning to keep an eye on the weather forecast for the next couple of weeks and hope for a warm up.

We will keep you posted.

Mikey

11. froggyfrenchman

What will almost certainly be our last battle this season is scheduled for next Sunday Nov. 10 at the Versailles, Ohio battle site.
    Address is..
    10203 Christian Rd. Versailles, Ohio 45380
    Start time will be noon, as it will be rather cold in the morning. And we can stay as late as we like.
    We anticipate Battlestations, and Treaty battles. First format to get ready will get to go first.
    Mikey

12. froggyfrenchman

All
    After speaking with some of the other locals, it looks like this weekend's event will be Treaty battles only.
    Some of the Battlestations boats are still undergoing refits, and will not be ready.
    Mikey

13. froggyfrenchman

The forecast is calling for a high of 48 tomorrow for the battle in Versailles. But no rain. Or snow! Haha.

We will be putting the finishing touches on our boats this evening, and charging all batteries.

I plan to be at the battle site by 10am or so to do some last minute trimming of weeds around the launch area.

Everything else looks good-to-go. There is still some moss on the surface. But it is all down at the far end.

Richelieu, Alaska, and Jean Bart are all battle-ready. Alaska will need a short sea-trials in order to make sure that she can be entered into the battles.

If I get a chance today, I will try to see if I can get the Bearn worked up for tomorrow as well.

It looks like we will have 6-8 Treaty boats on the water for the battles. And perhaps as many as 8-10 captains present (including a couple/few new interested folks).

Vance and I are looking forward to it. But bundling up for sure.

Nikki says that she is perhaps the best swimmer in our group. So I hope she is there to recover any sunken boats. Hehe.

Mikey

14. froggyfrenchman

The battle is still on for today. Starts at noon.
    Going to be in the upper 40s, with no rain, or snow.
    So no need to bring the ice-breakers this time around.
    We will not be firing up the grill. But we will have drinks and some munchies on-hand.
    The USS Alaska is going to be on the water for the first time.
    We will post up-dates for all of the fair-weather sailors.
    Mikey

15. froggyfrenchman

The battle is still on for today. Starts at noon.
    Going to be in the upper 40s, with no rain, or snow.
    So no need to bring the ice-breakers this time around.
    We will not be firing up the grill. But we will have drinks and some munchies on-hand.
    The USS Alaska is going to be on the water for the first time.
    We will post up-dates for all of the fair-weather sailors.
    Mikey

16. froggyfrenchman

I wanted to thank everyone that came out for our battle today in Versailles.
    I don't know how many battles we actually had. But it was a lot.
    I do know that we had a lot of folks having great fun running the boats.
    It seemed that we had a relay of folks. When one or two captains had to leave,
    we had some new ones show up.

We had the USS Arizona on the water battling. We also had the USS Hawaii, and USS Alaska running together for the first time (I think). The old Rodney was out there again.
    The French had a pretty good turn-out. But seemed to have taken a beating pretty much all day long.
    Anyhow. Vance and his pals had a great time running the boats together again early in the day.
    And when they decided to not go out any more there were other newer folks arriving to run the boats.

It was a great time indeed.
    It was a great way to close out the battling season.
    Thanks to all, and well done. It was a blast.
    Somebody had to get wet today. But I am not saying who..
    Mikey

17. froggyfrenchman

It would seem that our battling season has come to an end for the year.
    We are looking into dates for an end-of-season club meeting and celebration.
    That will probably take place in December or January.
    We will also be putting together a schedule for build-sessions, and boat displays.
    Mikey

18. froggyfrenchman

We are currently making the rounds in the Dayton area in order to help some of the folks with the (neo) yahoo site issues that they may be having.
    Mark and I were able to hook up with Phil at his place yesterday.
    Our next club event on the schedule is a boat display at an R/C swap-meet in Springfield, Ohio next Friday morning. November 29.
    It is looking like our end-of year get-together will take place sometime in January.
    There seems to be a lot of horse-trading going on just now with folks starting to look at what they are planning to run in 2014.
    Mikey

19. froggyfrenchman

I was able to hook up with Matt yesterday for some yahoo discussions, and horse-trading.
    It looks like my French fleet is growing again. And I have picked up a couple partially built projects that he had.
    But more importantly we were discussing how to grow our fleet of loaner boats locally on the one hand, while coming up with a plan that would allow those in the club that have ships in both the Treaty and Battlestations formats, to more easily participate in both formats at our events.
    We have discovered that trying to run boats in both formats at an event is, well, rather high-impact. Like running a marathon perhaps.
    Especially if you are trying to run capital-ships in both formats.
    We have come up with a plan that we think will increase the fun that we can have, while lessening the work-load for those crazy enough to try it.
    The plan is to build up a fleet of pre-dreadnaughts for Treaty. Ships that should be easy to maintain if we choose to run them ourselves, that would also be great boats to loan out to the newer folks.
    We are hoping that we would then find it easier to keep our Battlestations boats on the water for the battles in that format.
    Mikey

20. froggyfrenchman

Our end-of-year get-together is looking like it will be scheduled in late January.
    But we do have some boat-displays coming up.
    Jan 5 in Celina, Ohio. Jan 18 in Urbana, Ohio. Jan 26 in Wapakoneta, Ohio..
    Feb 8 in Dayton, Ohio. Then Ravenna, Ohio in March.
    Mikey