MIGHTY HMS Hood

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by rcengr, Jun 24, 2013.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I thnk that material is heavy and for a superstructure you want to keep it as light as possiblity for stability particulalrly a hull like hood with it's length to beam ratio. However this hull is quite big so I think it would be fine. I like the approach to bulding the superstructure. Hmmm I may be tempted to build a hood but smaller 1/144.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Could always cut out the inside of the foam blocks, too :)

3. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Normally on the 1/144 scale builds, I use hard wood router-ed out for the 01 level, followed by the foam, which I also hollow out, but with the Mighty 'ood weighing in at over a hundred pounds, I'm not sweating a few extra ounces of foam : )

4. Tugboat

Seriously. LOL :)

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Wow, over a hundred pounds. Can't wait to see it move through the water.

6. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Matt,
    I al ways knew u were crazy :) this just proves it :)
    Nikki

7. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

still smaller than my first Battlestations boat by about 30lbs. I have some updated photos of the superstructure, but my computer keeps timing out. I have accomplished alot of work on both the Hood, and the Bart. After these two builds, I intend on outfitting my Texas, and then its building more ships around the guns I have (alot), I figured a Prinz Eugan would be easy to pawn off on someone, so I will probably build that next, and beat on it with the Hood to get some more axis motivation...

8. NASAAN101

Hey matt,
    I have Plans for her and if I wasn't so far from you guys, I would build be her! She about 50, which would be the biggest I would go!!
    Nikki

9. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

10. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

First two photos highlight the tripod, and how tall this ships super really is, the third photo shows the foam tiles being used to fill the area between ribs and double keels prior to self leveling compound being used. I have been working on internals, which I hope to begin installing tomorrow morning, I have been trying to work on the Bart as well, and hope to post photos to that build tomorrow evening.

11. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Its amazing how torn up your shop can get while working on three Battlestations capital ships, no time to clean, thats what the POWs are for lol...

12. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

13. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I guess need a lot of POWs in my shop... any volunteers?

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Wow that superstructure is amazing even at this stage of construction. Love the workshop.

15. NASAAN101

Hey matt and mark,
    if hood is there, can we get a photo on her setting beset me in the grass, and I'm not sure if we can get the 144th scale out to, but that would be a cool photo, to see the size between them!!!
    Nikki

16. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

I wonder if you could make a 1;144 scale Missouri.

17. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I don't think he has interest in making kits that are already available as a fibreglass hull, atleast thats what Ive seen RCENGR say in the past. Seriously, if you want a Missouri, either buy the hull from Strike Models, or buy a set of plans, and make one yourself out of wood. There are plenty of examples of scratch builds on this site, and plenty of us would be willing to help with advise. :)

18. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Yea I'm pretty sure Mark already said negative on an Iowa kit due to a fiberglass kit being available, If the gentleman was inquiring if I would build an Iowa for combat for him to see, I have in both 1/144 and 1/96. I have been ill, nasty bout with Lyme disease had me away from the shop. I have prepped some sheeting material, worked on the boat deck level of super, and built the ruff shape for the funnels.

19. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

20. Tugboat

That barbette is WAAAY tall! I hope the bearings don't get lost on their way up to the cannon barrels! Nice work, man, it looks very good!