MIGHTY HMS Hood

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by rcengr, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'm hoping that the BB cannon printed magazines work out; I'd like to arm the secondaries as well as the mains. The plan will be revealed in a build thread this weekend as wood cutting begins on ribs. Lots of ribs. Glad to hear Prinz Eugen will be in the works, it'd be nice to have a partner. Maybe with OPERATION RHEINÜBUNG 1/96 in the offing, we can do a small 2-day Battlestations Nats attached to a Treaty 3-day next summer, so it'd be a weeklong event worth travelling a great ways for. Or something.

2. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Sounds awesome a festival of carnage on water. I was wanting to make a bunch of twin BB gun Arizona's for my secondaries. Our own RCengr has a game plan on the Eugan, leaving me to focus on the Capital ships.

3. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Awesome! I note that you already have mains for the Prinz Eugen in those tandem dual 3/16"s, assuming that turret spacing works out. With Mark on the job, expect wonderful things :D

4. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The Hood made it to the battle pond today!
    It fits in the back seat of a pickup.
    [​IMG]
    How many people does it take to assemble a Hood?
    [​IMG]
    It turns pretty tight too... considering its size
    [​IMG]

5. Tugboat

What, no pics of its turning circle? Seriously, it looks cool on the water! The Ersatz Hannover build starts tomorrow.

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

7. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Here's a picture of it in a turn.
    [​IMG]

8. Tugboat

Very good! :) Gives me an idea of how well I need Bis to turn to keep from being dogmeat against Hood and POW.

9. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

10. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Tonight I built the after conning tower, and platform for "auntie"? octuple 2lbr PomPom, I carved out some boats, and Dustin aided me in cutting out the seven dual 4" AAA. I have a bunch of brass for making the blast sheilds around the UP launchers and AAA emplacements. The mainmast is built, but needs all the trimmings, and I have some more little buildings to place around the deck, I am trying to figure out the color of the slip resisting covering that was used on the boat deck level. I think it was "dark grey" so thats probubly what I will use. Tommarow the wood for HMS Prince of Wales is being picked up, and ribs are going to be laid out.

11. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I had a thought about the discussion we had on the turrets: paint the inside with several coats of the self-leveling PL S20. It brushes on fairly well, and might help with impact resistance. Option B would be to lay on a thin layer of two part putty like Aves or Pro Create. "Green Stuff" could work too, but it is a little flexible when cured. Green stuff can be found at hobby stores that do table-top wargaming.

12. Rob3869

Rob3869 Member

This is absolutely beautiful and very impressive. Thank you for taking time to send pics of your build from start to finish. I can't wait to show my son.