Mines

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by HTMills, Feb 25, 2015.

1. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

Does anybody have a good plan for mine construction and/or mine deployment for 1:144 scale big gun mine layer

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

STAY AWAY FROM MINES! They are not fun to play with, and have the potential to break a club apart. If you've ever experienced frustration at losing radio signal or getting mossed, it's like that but much worse. And usually half the ships on the water get caught, and the few survivors have to be super-cautious and can't enjoy the battle. They also present a risk of permanent damage to motors, speed controllers, and entire ships due to stalling, overcurrent, and possible fire. Yes, it has happened. Mines almost caused the WWCC to collapse. Don't even risk it. It isn't worth it.

KeriMorgret likes this.
  3. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

Excellent advice wouldn't have known or ther wise. Experience is always a good teacher thanks.

4. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

But mines are fun!
    Especially when two axis ships shoot up an entangled allied vessel, only to realise as it starts sinking that they have both have become ensnared as well.....

5. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

what about a paravane has anybody developed one yet or even a prototype
    image.jpg

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

I was thinking of using stiff wire as the cable/chain that would simulate the hydrofoil being dragged. I think weeds would be the biggest deterrent. If the got hung up it would be just as bad as the mines.

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

We did experiment with minesweeping methods during the reign of terror, 2006-2007, but nothing proved capable. A paravane design showed initial promise, the problem was that the fishing line would drag behind the paravane, so you could not turn at all while moving the mines or they'd go right into the minesweeper's props. It also required the thrust of a battleship to move even an extra-light anchor, due to the mud and weeds at the bottom of our pond.

@Darren, I haven't seen that happen with mines. It did happen with recovery float strings, though.