Missouri in Rough Water

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Jul 23, 2012.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Had another great day for the Mighty Mo to rough water it. This time the new and improved gear shaft worked flawlessly and the Mo pounded the surf at Quidi Vidi Lake. I attached the GO Pro Camera atop the bridge and got an excellent view of teh entire bow length and the massive waves that crashed up and over and hit the Go Pro. The ship was heeling hard between swells . Once edited and played in slo mo should look pretty realistic. Gravol may be required to watch but I will break it up to exterior seens and onboard scenes to reduce the urge.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well ran the MO again in rough water .This time even more rough than the last outing. Good news the repaired drive shaft held and worked perfectly. The conditions were sunny with large chop and strong winds on the lake on shore. I sailed the model out to 100-150 ft near the buoys anchored. The model heeled between the swells in the deep trough, busted through large whitecaps and surfed on following waves heading to shore. Pump worked perfectly . The GO PRO HERO camera was mounted on the bridge roof and angled so that it could see both forward turrets and the entire forward bow section and well beyond. The result..

It captured how rough it really was. It looked like I was flying low over the wave tops then plunging head on into the very large waves that I could see coming over the bow. The entire forward section was engulfed completly many times and water actually hit the face of the camera many times. The horizon was swaying like a pendulum as the model heeled violently while turning into the trough between waves. You could see the very large strands of weed that the bow snagged and dragged along. How the MO did not fowl her props I don't know but I used the quick forward stop and reverse back to forward several times when I suspecetedthe model was suddenly slowing.
    The skegs seemed to deflect the triailing strands of weed off the props and rudders.

The wife got even better photos of the MO dissappearing in the waves. Hope to post here very soon.