Missouri Repair Gear Drive

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Oct 11, 2012.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I removed the troublesome port side Gear box. It wasn't easy as it was Gooped to the hull bottom.I heated the end tip of a mini crowbar with a blowtorch and placed the heated end against the base of the mount till it softend the goop enough to get a wedge beneath the motor mount. I tapped the end of the bar with a hammper gently and repeated this method till the crowbar tip was underneath the mount at about midway,Then I was able to pry it off but even then the Goop was extremely resistant. I finally removed it and cleaned up any excess that was stuck to the keel.
    With that I modifed a new mount and installed the mount stuffing tube sleeved and installed a new gear shaft. Greased the mount stuffing tube and shaft and installed the pinion and gear wheel. Then I installed the thrust bearings and washeres on each end of the gear shaft, installed the Universal brass coupling and aligned the motor mount back in positioned. Gave the main drive shaft a few spins to check any wobble along the drive shaft and gear shaft. It was very smooth. I however had no tube of goop or other adhesive with me last night so I had to leave it as is till I tackle it this evening and secure the motor mount. The good news is that the motor mount stuffing tube had to be tapped into the mount so it's not moving on it's own accord and it should stay put this time. I hope it holds just till the end of fall and after that I don't care if it goes I will replace these mounts with a new different set of Gear mounts next year.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Repair complete. Will test it this sunday at the pond. If it fails I have 3 rescue battleships to get the Mo.
    Unfortunatly for Mo they are all AXIS battleships. We do accept Mercy Begging here.