model hull

Discussion in 'Construction' started by dman10, Apr 8, 2012.

1. dman10

dman10 Member

Im new and I don't have the money to build or buy a ship.... so I was on the revell website and noticed that they had a 1/144 scale fletcher class destroyer and was thinking maybe I could use this as a base and moddify it with guns and rc controls and build two of them for me and my freinds so we can battle in my pond. Is it doable or is it a waste of my time?

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Its not doable. Somebody in the OAF has one that has been converted to R/C, but its not possible to fit a working cannon & gas system to it because of weight issues.

3. absolutek

4. dman10

dman10 Member

well could just use the hull and build a light weight super structure?

5. absolutek

No. If you want a destroyer hull, buy one from BC or Strike, you'll probably save money over buying the Revell kit, which isnt realliy suitable anyways. Just be aware that destroyers are not cheap to build & arm as the smaller components which are necessary, cost more money.

6. dman10

dman10 Member

well... what would be you guys recomendation for a cheap boat build... i got 300 bucks not long a go but my parents wont let me spend that much, i can build one i have the knoeledge, equitment and smart old man freind help( my dad and a old family freind)

7. absolutek

You won't get a battle ready ship for that, you'll get close though. My suggestion, would be to build an R/C boat, without the combat gear. Maybe checkout Tugboats thread on building an Edgar Quinot http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/aff/566/aft/441667/afv/topic/Default.aspx

8. dman10

dman10 Member

I was really thinking about building my own something like the uss des moines, or a minesweeper or something like that... like i said i have th equitment and knowhow

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Minesweeper is too small. Destroyer is too small. Start yourself working on what Tugboat has going on building the Quinot, like Chase says. Its a good thread and its dedicated precisely to people in your situation. http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/...fault.aspx

10. dman10

dman10 Member

I was thinking of something american anf from ww2..i'm not trying to be difficult

11. absolutek

You can build whatever you want. You could apply the lessons from Tugboats thread that I posted the link to here, to any ship you have plans for. Here is a link to George Goffs Site:
    http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dl...63&ck=
    . The plans are in 1/144 scale, and are cheap. They aren't the most high quality or true to scale, but for our hobby they don't need to be.

12. NickMyers

You can certainly build something newer as well. What he goes over there could just as well be used to build something such as a cruiser. You'll just need a set of plans which will increase your cost slightly, and the larger hull may also increase your cost.

Also check out this thread on the Bearn CV for discussiong of building a wooden hull: http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/...fault.aspx

13. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Under the For Sale Forum, Mark is selling laser-cut Baltimore class cruiser hulls for $75.00 plus shipping. It is a good start for a new Captain and you can add the components as you can afford them.

14. dman10

dman10 Member

could you guys pop out some ideas you think would be suitable for me and maybe so pfds?

15. absolutek

Probably any WWII Heavy Cruiser. Or you could go with a battleship, the increased cost of materials wouldn't be to bad. But they do cost considerably more to arm if you ever do go that route.

16. NickMyers

French heavy cruiser Suffren is a good ship and plans are free.

Ken's suggestion of the Baltimore kits is a very good one, but you'll still need to put a lot of work in it to float (though they are very nice kits and I kind of want one of everything Mark is selling...) (you would need to put in the same amount of work on any wooden hulled ship, Mark's kit gets you there faster and with really awesome laser cut pieces though)

Are you semi-local to any clubs? Your absolute best best would be to hook up with a club and borrow a ship for a whiile. Gives you time to tinker on one of your own and build up some cash-money.

17. dman10

dman10 Member

Im really leaning toward the uss des moines

18. NickMyers

19. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

After a quick look at Battlers Connection, there is a Des Moines kit with accessories offered. The overall cost seem to be out of your price range, however if that is the ship that you want to build this will give you a starting point.

20. dman10

dman10 Member

Any other cool battlecruseirs, heavy crusiers, ect that would be good for a beginner?I checked around and there is only 3 other pepole near me and they live 20-30 minutes away.