model hull

Discussion in 'Construction' started by dman10, Apr 8, 2012.

1. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

As you are probably becoming aware, these ships can be more expensive than an ordinary model boat.
    It all depends on what resources you can gather for your build, be it the actual timber,tools, plans or people.
    Spread the cost over time, and it won't hurt so much.
    The more you can build with your own hands the cheaper it will be.
    Your number 1 asset will always be people, and the skills they bring, so having 3 others within 30 mins of you is a very good thing.
    Find out when and where they meet, it's your best move.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

20-30 minutes is pretty close in this hobby. In our local group, 20 minutes away is the nearest person to me currently, takes me about an hour to get to the furthest away, and I think I'm pretty lucky that these folk are as close as they are.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Indeed. I am blessed that my best friend (apart from Homefront-6 aka wife) is a battler and lives 10 minutes away. The next closest is 30-45 minutes, and the next beyond that is about 2 hours. And we're actually pretty lucky! So you're doing well.

4. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

I suppose desire is motivation. For me the closest active member is 90 miles or 1 1/2 hours of driving time. The closest battling area is 180 miles away, 3 hours by car. I am going to a build day with my group and will be driving over 300 miles or 5 hours !!! :(

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Come to Statesboro :) We're only about 10-11 hours :)

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Not a bad drive from New Orleans.

7. dman10

dman10 Member

Anyone wanna come help? well i tried finding general plans for the uss des moines but of any ship thats the plans they lack... I really didnt want to buy the plans but i guess it cant be avoided.... unless someone has a hull REAL cheap, speaking of that I will take any hull cheap no matter how beat up just so i can have a starting point. Have anyone saw that uss roanoke build THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!

8. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

You do know the difference between plans and a hull right?

9. dman10

dman10 Member

yeah, im not picky I will take either one. A hull is the floating part of the boat and plans are what you use to make the hull

10. absolutek

Why don't you just buy some plans ($15-20ish) and some wood, and just make your own hull?

11. dman10

dman10 Member

Talk to my dad, he says buying a truck, a rifle, finshing the rc yaht I started, finshing my scale models is more important than this hobby.

12. absolutek

Well get working then! ;)

13. dman10

dman10 Member

you wanna help me?

14. dman10

dman10 Member

theirs a a near complete uss des moines on MWC for 120 bucks but i dont have the money for it....

15. dman10

dman10 Member

http://www.modelwarshipcombat.com/forsale.shtml

16. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Lots left to do on that ship, but it is a good price. You'd have to pay to ship it probably though.

Don't stress it too much, good deals will be available in the future too.

Sounds like you need to work on convincing (and actions speak louder than words here) your Dad that you can follow through and finish projects you start. Work on the things he wants you to do, in the meantime, try to meet up with the folk in your area who partake in this hobby. Try to attend some battles. Doing this achieves several goals - it gets you more information about what you're looking at getting into, it shows your dad that you are truly interested, and most importantly - it lets you meet up with people who might help you get into the hobby. When I first started, I borrowed a ship for a year before I even started my own, and then borrowed that ship for another year while I built my own. Now I'm building a second ship with the intent to loan it to people who come out to the pond and are interested.

17. dman10

dman10 Member

man, i was more people like you guys lived down here