Model Warship Combat Hobby, Vendors, and the Future

Discussion in 'Vendor News' started by smorgret, Nov 15, 2017.

1. smorgret

smorgret Vendor

At Strike Models, we've been having some serious discussions about the future of the hobby and of our business, and feel it is time to shut down the business and move on. This is not a decision we are considering lightly, as you can likely imagine.

When I bought the business from SwampWorks eight years ago, Keri and I had a goal to expand the hobby and the business. Sell a larger variety of ships, develop new manufacturing techniques that make it easier to get started in model warship combat, and increase awareness of the hobby. With our resources, we have not been able to help increase the participation in model warship combat. As an example, the extensive and expensive efforts to develop the Duca D'Aosta hulls (with their built-in decks and easy-to-cut sides) have not helped to bring new people to this hobby. We sold quite a few hulls as a loss leader, yet only a handful people ordered turrets, and just two ordered kits with a superstructure -- nothing that has indicated people actually want to build a ship to battle.

The hobby does not feel large enough to support its current vendors, and possibly not even a single full-time vendor. It's time to take a step back and look at the future for everyone involved -- individuals and vendors alike. What do you want to see?

I've had good experiences in this hobby, and have met a lot of great people. Unfortunately, there just does not seem to be enough people involved to make this a viable business that can even partially support my family. Nothing that we have seen leads us to believe this situation will improve in the near enough future to make it worthwhile to continue.

Our tentative plans are to sell our products through the end of 2017, and after that only sell items that we have readily available and do not need manufacturing. We have already started looking for buyers for classes of items, such as the plugs, molds, and existing fiberglass hulls. For the time being, we will be continuing the laser cut kits, the Duca, and ship plans.

We are interested in hearing what you have to say, and thank you for having joined us in this adventure.

Stephen and Keri Morgret
    Strike Models

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Well this sucks.

Sethie likes this.
  3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Tough to make the mortgage selling stuff for niche hobbies. Thanks for your efforts to date and best of luck in the future. Any thoughts on the future of rcwarshipcombat.com? I think Strike owns it, correct?

buttsakauf likes this.
  4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

RCWC will continue. Was transferred into my care 3 years back.

buttsakauf, Sethie and SteveT44 like this.
  5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I'm certainly sorry to see you go. Having two vendors has been very beneficial to the hobby since both have innovated along different paths.

However, it doesn't surprise me that our membership can't support a full time business. You have to make the right business decision.:(

buttsakauf and kgaigalas like this.
  6. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear about the marketing state of the hobby.
    The efforts of our GLAS group is to constantly try to attract new batters.
    We have had success.
    We do build sessions, :bang::bang::bang::bang:
    we have about 5 battles a year where we try to destroy as much equipment as we can.:sick::sick::sick::sick:
    If you notice our NATS picture; these men are battlers and builders. I was happy to see each one of them.
    (I wish there where many more of them)

I can not speak for the other groups, this should probably be said (and better said) by other people,
    but I think we would all like more battlers.
    We have spent many hours a week helping / advising new members.

I would like to thank you for your support of the hobby.
    My disappointment in your decision is sincere.
    I know this is not a charity
    Thanks,
    Kas

Panzer likes this.
  7. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Sorry to see you go, but you are correct, you have to do what is best for you and your family first. You have brought access to many new items and techniques. Are you wanting to sell off everything all at once, or piecemeal? Are you retaining the manufacturing machines for other ventures, or yet to be determined? Was always nice to see you at a battle, I hope you are able to stay involved with the local group at least.

8. Bsquared

Bsquared Member

Well. Hopefully i will be able to aquire the stuff i need to build my first ship.... Thats sad to hear.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I am fortunate to be able to get the USS Arizona before the company shuts down.

10. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Sorry to see you go. Have bought a few things even though I don't battle. Living in Wisconsin not anyone here has ships for battling. No private pond and not allowed in county parks. I do enjoy building using fiberglass hulls. Sure will miss you.

11. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

Same driving distance for both of us to Saranac MI. See you at battles this coming season!!

12. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Keep in mind that Battlers Connection is still running. I always enjoyed having 2 vendors I could go to for hard-to-find stuff. Strike, you guys will be missed.

Bsquared likes this.