Model's ages 10 - 20+??

Discussion in 'General' started by CURT, May 15, 2009.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

:) I was thinking about the Sodak called BlueDeath and it's age 20 yrs. Got me wondering just how many model combat ships have hit the big 20? So if you have a ship 10 to 20+ years lets see them and tell us a little something about them. Most memorable moment with them and why you still are battling with them after all these years?If your shy just post a pic or make an honourable mention about them. Maybe you know of someone with an old model combat ship. Be nice see just how many of our ships are still around and active. Roll call pleeeassee. :DFor me my Bismarck is 17.5 yrs old.Roma is 12 yrs old. Yamato is 12 yrs old. Warspite I think is about 10 yrs old. All of these ships are still on the active list though 2 are in refit BIsmarck and Warspite.

-

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The Bike is 11 years old.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There are a number of ships in the WWCC that are over 20 years old. Two that come to mind are the Alabama and the Conti Di Cavour. The Conti Di Cavour needs new guts before it can fight again, but the Alabama is still fighting to this day. Even more impressive is that the Alabama is actually a few days older than me!

4. moose421

moose421 Member

USS Wichita was has finally made its combat debute. I bought it from Swampworks back in 93 or 94 and built it. Them promptly put it in storage, (Job Change). Now it has returned as the Wichita. Been sunk once and shot up a lot. I love being a rookie. Teaching me what not to do and patch!

5. B24

B24 Member

6. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

the old ships are the best ships work out the bad stuff over the years. every battle i change something and my ships are getting better its all about time
    still in my 1st year and getting my ass kicked but i love it soon ill kick ass on someone. i hope

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Not sure how you would rule this one, old or not...

There was a guy who wanted to join the WWCC nearly 20 years ago. He visited a few battles and even purchased a used boat, but never got to fight because his wife said no. Apparently, he never gave up on his goal, and started building his own ships. A few months ago, he showed up at the WWCC fleet meeting with a Richelieu-class battleship. The ship was incredibly well-built, using the technology and architecture of 20 years ago, mixed with a few innovations of his own plus relatively modern "indiana"-style cannons and a CO2 bottle. It was a major blast from the past to see marine-grade plywood ribs with holes drilled to route wires and gas lines, custom-made electronics tray, and - get this - WOODEN props and rudders. custom-made hardwood props and rudders. WOW. I have never, in all my life, seen wooden props and rudders. I'd heard that was how they did it "way back when," I didn't believe it until then. The fascinating part was the juxaposition of ultra-modern equipment (Futaba 2.4-ghz radio, 40-amp Mtroniks ESC, waterproof Traxxas servos) with ancient building technique (keel-up style, hole-drilled ribs, penetrable superstructure with 1/32" balsa armor). The ship itself was just over a year old from the time of its completion.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Woooww..Wooden props and rudders? Ok I get the rudders as I used them myself many times but wooden Props? Boy I would love to see pics of this model.

9. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

At my first battle this weekend w/ GLAS. Chris Au's USS Salt Lake City he said was I want to was 1985 originally (he is not the original owner). Another member there according to Chris and Dave Au has Swampy's first HMS Invincible hull made (again the current owner is not the original owner). Both ships show their age but still battle just fine =D

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Wow that's pretty old. I remember working on an old wooden Nagato back in 1999 or 2000. It was purchased from one of the guys from teh U.S. It was already very old about 17 or 18 yrs I think. It's well over 20yrs old. I think one of the Nabs Members still has it but it's been a retired as a combat ship for a long time now. Still runs around though.

11. B24

B24 Member

12. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

I have been thinking about this topic, and was wondering if not only the years should be counted but how many times the ship has been on the water?
    I would have a lot more respect for a five year old ship that has been on the water 100 times compared to a ten year old ship that has been on the water ten times.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Good point. My Bismarck has been on the water about 2000 times and that is a rough estimate.This includes regular running and Battling. My Yamato almost as much about 1500 times again very rough.

14. Bryan

Bryan Member

A few years ago, I bought a ship that had been battling over 10 years already, she
    had introduced many people to the hobby in our neck of the woods and the original
    owner still has first dibs if i ever sell her again, but she must be about 13 years old by
    now, it is my old Hindenburg, a derflinger class, it was a old swampy hull and is still
    getting re-sheated every year and still fun on the water for myself, my son and many
    strangers still. she was layed down around 1995 I think.

Hope this works...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if not take a look at her under our ships in our gallery here.

Cheers!

15. MWC13

MWC13 Member

As the owner of the SoDak known as BlueDeath, the hull was constructed in 1987 and the current superstructure was completed in 1989. It's been in, probably, a thousand sorties at this point. It is still combat ready and very dangerous which is why it's on the shelf until I can get my Houston completed to lower the local carnage.

16. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

once again thank you. and can you keep it there till next year

17. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

The 22-year-old USS Alabama fought in two battles at the Maker Faire today and sank in the second. She took a good blast from the traitorous Rodney which took out a chunk of wood and pushed her damage over the edge.

18. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Hahaha, Good one Rodney! Show those yank speedboats the business!

19. Bryan

Bryan Member

When we are out battling, Hindenburg will go out 3-5 times a day and all summer long
    if you let me, sometimes she is out over 20 times a weekend at the cottage, so she has
    had some battling and before I got her she has been out lots also (and sunk lots too):blink:
    She is not tired, she gust gets new parts and occsional upgrades or new parts and you
    just keep them around like a great old stand by you can always rely on. I know her
    nemesis\or best friend in our club has to be "I-Boat" as they are both class 4 and have
    played lots together and against each other and even when its just them at the pond so
    they will continue to be battling buddies for some time to come I hope (Hi Craig!):)

20. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I built a Hei back in 1988 that I think is still battling in Michigan. It is the one that is fighting a 1 on 1 on the MWC's Youtube video. Chris Pierce had my Queen Elizabeth. Don't know if it is still running or who may have it now?
    Good thread. Brings back some good memories!