Mogador Build - Fastgun

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by SteveT44, Jan 4, 2011.

1. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Too bad you can't use the batteries like a sailboat keel down the bottom center of the ship. That would help with the stability.

2. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Hey Steve, nice build.. Are folks still meeting up at Marty's place anymore? That photo almost looks like Martys place or at least the same things, stuff everywhere and captains having a good night chatting and building..... I miss those ole days:crying:

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Yep, that's Marty's garage. I get up to his place every so often. That night it was me, Tommy, Marty, and a new guy who's name I forget but he's rebuilding a VU.
    Steve

4. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

If you dont mind, ask Marty and Steve when they will be holding a get together in Dec sometime. I will drive up from Kentucky to enjoy the night with you all.

Opps sorry for derailing the thread..

5. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Hey Steve,
    The sheeting looks great, but have you used the E6000 before for sheeting? That stuff works great just wonder how easy it will be to get the old sheeting off when the time comes to replace it?
    Skippy

6. SteveT44

This is the second boat I've used E6000 to sheet with. I haven't tried pulling a E6000 sheeted boats sheeting off as of yet.
    With E6000 I've learned that once you get "under it" it can be pealed off with relative ease in long sections. I suspect it will be easier to pull off than superglue and maybe a bit harder than contact adhesive.

7. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Hello, this is Marty!
    1) we hold build night just about every Friday night at the garage, so come one come all!
    2) We use heat to get the contact adhesive balsa off, the same may help with the e6000!

8. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Your right Marty, I've heard that heat works with Weldwood. I might work with the E6000.

9. Kerndog91

Kerndog91 New Member

Hello Steve,

Complete newbie here. My son would like to build a Mogador with me, and your build thread is a complete jackpot of help. Answers about a hundred or so questions right out of gate. Thank you!

He's pretty keen on both fore & aft cannons, but we jumped the gun and already bought the Mogador hull from BC. I've since learned that the rules call for a single cannon for this class (doh). So... from a purely physical space & weight point of view, would you think it is out of the question to try and add a second cannon up front? Rick at BC thought it would be very tight if at all possible, and only one cannon could be loaded for battling. The added weight would certainly be a handicap, but I think my son might make that trade -- assuming we can actually do it. What do you think?

Again, awesome thread.

Thanks,
    John

10. SteveT44

Hey John, welcome to the hobby.
    I concur with Rick at BC, it will be very difficult to get two cannons into the Mogador and still make weight and have it float upright. For a first boat, the Mogador is a big challenge. It will take double the effort to get it on the water compared to a cruiser. If your boy is gungho on the two cannons, consider saving the Moggy for your second boat and do a father/son cruiser or a dreadnaught.
    Steve

11. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Honestly, bow guns should be avoided for a beginner. While they can be fun, a bow gun is likely to get you sunk. For a cruiser or destroyer, speed is life and if you have your bow pointed at the enemy, you can't escape in a hurry if you need to. While you turn to try and escape, that battleship will be closing with speed, and will very likely get his forward sidemounts on target and put serious pain on you.

If you keep your bow pointed /away/ from the enemy you can try to run from trouble. Just practice playing angles and getting in front of people, then blasting away with the stern gun and accelerating away and your ship will live long and prosper.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'd hit every battle between now and Nats to get her battle tested :) And have spares of everything. :)

Have you put her in a pond to check speed? (not recommending that in the current weather, mind!) :)

13. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Steve, did you use E6000 to attach the subdeck on the Mogador?
    I used the E6000 to attach the subdeck on a Sharnhorst a couple years ago. At the end of this past year, the subdeck started seperating from the fiberglass hull. Might be something to watch out for in the future, just in case. :)

14. SteveT44

Yes I did. I'm surprised your seeing seperation. E-6000 has been holding my tank tracks reliably together for years and they see much more abuse than a subdeck. Did you sand the waxy coating off the fiberglass before bonding?

15. Tugboat

Maybe the water exposure?

16. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Glad to see you back at this build Steve. It looks great, and being in the middle of a small boat build myself, I enjoy seeing others solutions to common problems with the little boats.

17. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I suspect it was Nature's Universal Solvent (aka water) that caused the seperation. The hull itself was an older used hull that I cleaned up before putting a new subdeck in. The seperation looked to be the E6000 itself breaking down versus pulling off the wood/fiberglass.

18. SteveT44

Thanks Cannoman. I'm not sure what your planning with your out-of-this-world Ruski DD build (maybe a soft moon landing? :)) but it's magnitudes more impressive than my meager little boat. Very nice work.

19. Tugboat

I'd sell you my Vex radios but they're designated for convoy duty.

20. Captkonig

Captkonig Member

Watching this build closely as I have a Terrible which needs refurbing. Keep the pics coming. BTW, what band saw did you get? I'm looking to get a table top band saw. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.