Mold patching question

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by slow_and_ugly, Jul 13, 2008.

1. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know if bondo can be used to patch the voids in a mold? I know that gel-coat is generally used, but I am having such trouble with it that I am afraid to try.

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    Sorry for the late response - just got back from vacation. Voids are best filled with gelcoat, applying just enough to protrude above the mold surface and allow for shrinkage. Bondo without fiberglass strands would work but is almost as hard to sand as gelcoat. I've also used Poly-Fair compound but found that it does not bond firmly to gelcoat and will eventually break off.

Which mold are you working on? Our first Treaty battle is coming up. Any chance the Konig can be converted to Treaty stats in the next 3 weeks? If not I think we'd allow it to battle anyway but shooting at the limit of approx. 2 BBs per second.

Bob

3. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi Bob,
    I want to patch some of the voids in the Radetsky mold. I hope to get at least one hull from it. It's pretty rough though

The Konig just needs to slow down - it was running at around 27 secs last summer. The pump needs to be tested, but I am pretty sure it is within limits with no modifications.

The Konig is running a fairly large (37mm?) Rivabo prop. I hope that switching it to a 30mm will slow it down a fair bit. It's running a 550 on a gearbox, so I have some options there too.
    Mighty Small cars on Kempt road had some two position ceramic resistors a couple of years ago - I'll go there to see if I they're still there.

I am sill on vacation - I am using my brother's computer.

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    I may have to use a resistor if we can't get the speeds close enough with prop and drag disc combinations. One concern with smaller prop sizes is that the direct thrust over the rudder(s) will be decreased and negatively affect handling.

If the Konig just needs to be slowed down but isn't quite on speed it can still compete. We've been discussing conversion problems and for our first few battles will accept ships in any stage of conversion to Treaty speeds. When will you first be available for a battle?

Are you using the Battlers' gearbox in the Konig? I'd like to have a look at it - considering it for the Indefatigable. Re the Radetsky, you have a potential hull buyer if you can make more than one.

Bob

5. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

If the Rad does not work out, Michael in Australia makes a Radetsky now, its just not listed on his web site yet. You would just need to email him about it.