Moltke vs Invincible

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by eighthgear, Aug 15, 2010.

1. eighthgear

eighthgear Member

Moltke, Invincible, Von det Tann, Lion, Indefatigable, etc... what are the best WW1/interwar era battlecruisers or light battleships?

2. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Best is always a subjective matter sure to create endless debate. It often depends on the specific format you want to participate in, the way you want to battle, and the opponents you'd face in your local club. That being said, the overall most effective battlecruisers in the era you ask about are probably Von der Tann for the Axis and Invincible for the Allies. They provide a good balance of size, speed, maneuverability, and armament for most situations. Many also like Moltke and the slightly larger Seydlitz because of their gun layouts although they are not quite as maneuverable as Von der Tann.

I'm not sure what you mean by "light battleships" but will take it to mean battleships/dreadnoughts in the 4 to 4.5 unit range comparable to battlecruisers. There are many more options to choose from here. The most effective are probably the early German dreadnoughts (Nassau, Helgoland, Kaiser) and Austrian Viribus Unitis for the Axis and early British dreadnoughts (Erin, Belerophon, Dreadnought, Orion, etc.) for the Allies. The American South Carolina and Spanish Espana are pretty good too.

If I could only pick one of any of these as "best," I'd go with Nassau!