Monitor USS Arkansas (Battlestations)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Kun2112, Jul 28, 2013.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

the 365s? BC sells are pretty powerful, I think you could get away with the 3/4", I might have a set of extra 1" low pitch props you could use. I tend to stick away from the higher pitch props any more, with few exceptions, like with certain gear combos.

2. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I am tempted to go with those myself as my RPM needed for speed would be higher, and should have better turning with faster water moving over the tiny rudder.

3. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Correction: they are Mabuchi motors...RS-380SH to be precise.
    Data chart (I think) here:
    www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/catalog/e_catalog.cgi
    18,000 rpm and 15,220 RPM at peak effeciency. IF this is the correct motor. The rest of the label states "RN547812". So I am not sure they are the 4535 model listed on the product page.
    Amp draw without any load is 0.47 from tests Mikey Deskin ran on them.
    I wonder, since this is a flat bottom hull that is very shallow, if I go full throttle, will I acheive plane? :laugh:

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Depends on your weight distribution. Bow heavy and you could submerge. :D

5. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha!! to funny!!!
    Nikki

6. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I would make sure to have a little stern lean before I did that... ;)

The 3/4" props are scale, so I think that is where I am leaning.

From what I gather, if this RPM rating is correct, I would need gear reduction just to fall within operating voltage. The stall load of these motors (again assuming this is the correct part number) is 24 amps, so the 30A ESC Matt generously donated to the build may not be enough. It might be time to look for another solution before I get too far along in the build.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I used to run a pair of 400-size motors in my I-boat on one 15A Mtronics ESC for years. 30A should be plenty.

8. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I am ordering some different motors from strike so I have a few more options.
    Tonight's pump test came in at .66GPM from one bucket to another. I will see what the gear pumps do when they come in--shiped from Hong Kong today. If nothing else, I'll have parts on hand for an I-400 build :woot:

9. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I realized that last night was nearly a complete wash as far as work accomplished, so tonight IT IS ON!!! I did, however, determine (with much help from Steven Morgret) that the motors I have are indeed the 4535 series of RS-380SH's and are best suited as pump motors. FWIW, I will be running at 9Ah of battery as these Turingy 4.5Ah LiFe packs fit so nicely.

The final blend sanding has been completed. Time to glass the hull.

That is 10 days since first wood cut if you are wondering :D

10. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Well, that was the fastest fiber glass I've ever laid. 30 minutes from prep to done, including the bow and stern. It will take about 24 hours for the finish grade epoxy to fully cure, then I will glass the bow and stern two more times over the coming week. I generally block out the tricky bits in balsa, so they need extra protection from shot.

11. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Beaver

12. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Tonight was a very productive evening. On top of glassing the hull, I managed to have some dinner, talk to my mom for an hour, and make some progress on the superstructure. Deck two on this ship is semi open and I have been racking my brain on the best way to do it. It also sticks out a little bit from deck one. Enter the return of the deck one template. Two copies were cut out of 5/32" ply, glued, sanded, etc... then I began to sheet it with 1/16" ply. There were cut outs for the stairs, which I ignored, and cutouts for the secondaries, which I did not. The secondary cut outs are - wait for it - 5/16", or the exact height of my two layers of 5/32". I sheeted the non-cut out areas with 1/16" to 1/2" high and am doing 5/16" height with a combination of 1/16" and 1/32" doubled up for the two nasty curves abaft.
    Deck three is open except for the pilothouse, so I cut that one out as well, marked my locations for the mast, smokestack, ventalator, and louvered vent shaft. I also had an epiphany on my recovery float and how that can work with my vent shaft housing on deck two and cool foam launches.
    Post fiberglassing pic as requested:
    [​IMG]

I have a few spots near the bow that didn't turn out great, but that is par for the course for me.

13. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

The epoxy has cured, so the bow and stern are ready for more glass tonight. I also hope to be able to finish deck two of the superstructure tonight as well.

14. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

The bow and stern got glassed again and I finished deck two. However, there are some issues I am going to have to deal with on the fit and finish. I might just have to re-do the entire deck and make it solid.

15. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I figured out one of my deck two fit promblems, flip the piece of 1/8" ply that comprises deck three over! There was a slight warp to the piece that I hadn't noticed. While I was at it, I knocked out the piliot house, smokestack and part of the mast...
    [​IMG]
    Even Boba Fett approves!

16. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

wow talk about an impossibly small target area...

17. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

One of the reasons I picked this boat: tiny, monitor, named Arkansas (my home state), small target area, pre-1906, and a weird little ship.

I added 3/8" in height to the hull to fit in the guns. The bottom of the subdeck is the scale waterline according to the builder's plans.

18. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I do not know how the guns work in battlestations, (ex. big gun 1/4" ball for all guns 12" and over) but she could pack a nice little punch and be a serious pain running up the side of a big ship and get under those guns....

Damn now I want one haha

19. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

She is armed with fixed 7/32" Arizona's. Basically, big gun cannons with slightly different caliber rules. I couldn't figure out a way to get Indiana cannons to fit in the 2" tall hull.
    In 1/144 scale she would be 18.75" long, 4.17" wide, and the hull would be 1.66" keel to deck
    EDIT: Correction: That is 1.33" keel to deck.

20. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I knocked out the louvered vent/launch brackets/recovery float tonight.
    [​IMG]
    Sadly, with the launches on, you can't see the pretty vents.
    [​IMG]
    I also decided not to build the ventelator. There was too much of a chance that my recovery float would snag on it, and since it is 0.62 cu in (+/- 0.06 cu in), it is not large enough to be required by the rules. Yay for geometry!
    I boxed out a well for the bottom of the float to sit in and prevent it from easily being shot off, then I puttied seams on decks one, two, and three. After I made sure tomorrow will be spent sanding putty until I say bad words, I started work on the turret.