Monitor USS Arkansas (Battlestations)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Kun2112, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

She looks AWESOME Dustin, very impressive! She's so low, that it would seem that it wouldn't take much to put her under.

Beaver

2. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

With the limited pumping capacity and lack of internal volume not taken up by stuff, I think it would only take a couple of good hits to sink. Now, getting those hits will be a challenge. I am very likely to swamp in rough water if water starts pouring into the barbette.

3. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

4. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Actually, it looks like a very seaworthy ship. And the pump works great, so I think you'll have a good chance of surviving a battle.

5. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Third sea trials running on 12V.
    youtu.be/rysmeKLcO10
    MUCH better. I should have to dial down the speed once I run the 100' course.
    Still a little too much weight to the stern, but that really can't be helped because the bottle has to go where it is for access and it really won't fit anywhere else. I did a float test in the tub afterwards and adding 4.3 oz to the bow brought it down to waterline level with 4.5 oz of lead under the bottle to simulate a full charge of 3.5 oz and 1 oz of ammo. 40 rounds per magizine ended up at 0.5 oz each mag. I only expect to get off about 30 shots per tank, but the additional ammo will be used to force the next round into the breech by gravity.
    I cut it a little too close for comfort on estimating the weight needed to float at the scale water line this time. Something I will remember for the next build. Speaking of, What's Next? :p
    EDIT: Third upload attempt worked. The link above will show the video.

6. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I added some foam near the motors to prevent water from accumulating in the "engine room". Hopefully, this will help keep too much water from gathering there and move it one rib forward to where the water channel starts.

7. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I would say you are way faster than 44 seconds. But it sure turns nice.
    How are the motors holding up to the 12volts. Did they get hot?

8. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it was running at 28 seconds.
    Honestly, since they are rated at 24V, I didn't even check for heat.
    Hmm, still have about an hour until sunset and its only 10 minutes to the park...

9. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I ran at full throttle for a few minutes and they were warm to the touch, but not hot--I'd say about 100*. It does turn nice considering how small the scale rudder is. I would say about an 8-10 foot circle. It would turn even better if I could get more of the weight amidships. The good news is that I now have a spare ESC already setup and ready to drop in.(or put in another tiny boat)

I'm not really happy with how the stern sits in the water, so I am going to try to figure out if I can move my bottle forward a little by re-positioning my pump.

Here is the pump in its current location.

[​IMG]

And this is the only other location is can possibly go due to the cannons and motors

[​IMG]

The problem with the second layout (which was how I originally had it in mockups) is that the regulator sits directly on top of the pump and raises the bottle up into the superstructure, which would affect stability. Now, there is the option Mike Butts suggested of cutting through the bottom of the hull and making a pump well. However, this would change the scale outline of the hull out of the water, but would allow me to lower my bottle. It would also increase the volume of the hull near the stern, which will displace more water back there, thus raising the stern evem more. Additional drawbacks would be greater draft and increased drag.

I did try to lay in the gear pumps, but the gear housing was just a bit too large with everything else in the hull.

I'm not really sure how to proceed at this point.

10. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Couldn't you just flip the bottle and regulator so the regulator is pointing forward?

Beaver

11. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

The bottle is the heavy part. The regulator only weighs about 6 oz. Plus, if I try to move it forward the MPA-3s force the regulator up to where it won't fit under the deck.

12. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

Battle pics soon plz :)

13. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Sounds like the motors are doing fine. The rule we used in model airplanes was as long as you could stand to hold your fingers on the motor for 3 seconds, they were not too hot.

14. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Well, I've decided that for the upcoming battle, I will keep the bottle where it is. I will repair the bottle bracket I snapped out to test layout options, and consider the boat done until the winter sets in.

15. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I modified the depression servo mount and added a bit of threaded rod and ball sockets so I could fix my depression and not have to worry about the guns going above horizontal after a few firings.

16. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The Arkansas has my vote as the scrappiest fighter ever. It survived encounter after encounter with the Hood's 1/4" cannons. And while it lost a couple of lifeboats, it had no holes in the hull.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Awesome photos of the battle! They're inspiring for work on Ersatz Hannover for next year!

Arkansas looks like a really hard target to hit, and the white and buff paint scheme gives me chills (the good kind).

What's the grey ship with 2 funnels?

18. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I believe that is the Hood.

19. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

:p LOL, no the WWI-looking dark grey short boat :)

20. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Something Baltic I think. Swedish?