Monitor USS Arkansas (Battlestations)

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Kun2112, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I LOVE photos but they only increase my addiction and need for more ships......... looks awesome!

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Looks like a French ship to me. Dustin, I think you're missing the photos of Arkansas shooting at the Hood. ;)

Beaver

3. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

The ship in question is HSwMS Gustav V. James wins a cookie, Bork! Bork! Bork!

Arkansas got some shots in on all opposing captains, but due to having to clear the breakwater, no dramatic splash shots. I was busy running her and didn't get many pictures, but I know a lot were taken, and should be uploaded in a few days.

4. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

After Action Report.

Fire Control: Due to the low aspect ratio of the hull and the adjustment to the magazine/breech inlet angle to accommodate the lack of hull height, the bow cannot be tipped down after loading or Starboard barrel will spurt five or six rounds the first time it is fired. Breech work required. Addendum: Consider modification of breakwater to increase barrel depression options.

Damage Control: Under no circumstances should the Arkansas put to sea if there are any questions about the pump. Ever. (Follow-up to be posted at a later date)

Gunnery: Several opportunities missed due to limited firing arc. Suggest R&D focus on upgrading capabilities to add rotation and depression control for the main guns.

Maneuvering: Ship was out-maneuvered by HMS Hood. Speed of opponent made up for larger turning radius. Resume research on decreasing turning radius.

Magazine: Shells expended before powder stores exhausted. Rectify at earliest opportunity.

Hull: Reenforce deck two to deck three joint. Windows allowed bow wakes and prop wash to enter hull. Deck three was removed in last-man-standing event.

Final Analysis: Ship performed admirably. A few key upgrades will make for a very formidable combatant in its intended role.

5. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Really, that's the Gustav? I would never have guessed her. :)

Beaver

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That is totally ...AWESOME! Love that little ship. Love to see more predreadnoughts like this on the wate battling amongst themselves would be cool. Reminds me when my Bismarck fought Bob Pottle's HMS Terror. A difficult target to hit for sure. Great job on the ship sir!

7. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I disassembled the pump tonight and the motor is very hard to turn by hand. I have not disassembled the motor, but I believe either the bearings are shot or there is buildup between the stators and magnets.

8. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Update: The Arkansas did have two hits from Saturday's battle. One 1/4" the hit just below the window from the Hood that did not penetrate and one BB hit below the waterline from the Mogador that punched through. Sunday, the Tashkent got another below window hit that did not penetrate. Above decks was a different story: Two lifeboats were shot off, one six pounder's barrel was removed from its soldered mount, the smokestack was hit several times and almost lost (it was even hit through the deck two "windows"), one of the googly eyes was hit on the turret, the pilothouse was hit, and the deck two splinter shield took a through and through. Most spectacularly, on Sunday, deck three was removed from deck two. Only the fishing line in place to prevent the secondaries from becoming lost that was glued to the bottom of deck three combined with the magnets holding the secondaries in place prevented the loss.

9. Brian Furlotte

Brian Furlotte Member

Old thread, but I remember that ship. Gene's old one right? I have a pic or two of it on a computer somewhere, it running next to a Littorio hull floating on the water I think. My son wants to build a 1/96 version of it..... Good grief.

10. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Nice, Any videos of the war,