Montana class big gun project.

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by jstod, Oct 1, 2016.

1. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ok time to restart this build or rather continue it. Progress will be slow but slow and steady wins the race right? Haha

Nibbles1 and Litch42f like this.
  2. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ok so no progress yet due in part to my garage being the definition of a disaster zone due to just moving in. Long way to go but the dreaming of armed combat has begun again.
    Obviously the four main turrets will be armed and rotating but the plan (dream) is togive a serious effort to arming the the 20 5” secondaries. They would be in adjustable fixed position but self reloading like the main guns. I have a rough idea of how to possibly achieve this which I will sketch out and present here for criticism and improvement.
    The hull is very large which is a positive because there is room to do all sorts of things. The negative is it is so large that it is very hard to defend against torpedo boats getting in under the guns and blasting away. My plan for the secondaries is to use them as close in point defense against this threat. They would fire in broad side fashion. All 10 on one side at a time. It’s the dream I mean plan at least lol

3. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

There was an Iowa class in the old Midwest Battle Group that had the secondaries done. If they are the same layout it could be done. My buddy Mark bought it about 15yrs ago. I think he pulled the secondaries and set them aside.

jstod likes this.
  4. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I’ve seen it done in the WWCC. One of the members had a Montana with secondaries but they were one offs and had to be brought in to reload. The accumulators where hidden in the SS. Pretty neat ship but the owner could never get it to battle reliably.

The Montana has the same number of 5” guns but the placement is swapped, 3 turrets on main deck 2 on next level and spaced a little further apart

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  5. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Tell me about it, I am rearming part of Sparky's Montana. I removed the front mains and secondaries, replacing the main guns with a set from an NC built in the mid 80's and if you focus on fighting your mains and having more room for batt's and Co2 I believe you will be much happier. I fought against the Montana at the 1989 NAMBA Nats with all the (I believe reloading and rotating) secondaries but I was not impressed with their hitting power, the boat on the other hand was incredible and years ahead of its time. I will be fighting this boat the next event and I hope it kicks the crap out of Joe's Iowa.

6. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I tracked it down. I was told one of the issues was the co2 consumption was so high the lines would freeze. However, I think with current regulators and a multi bottle system it would be fine.

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

That’s kind of that I had in mind. I do not have a clue how I’d lay it out but I think a big bottle for the 4 mains and possibly a smaller one for secondaries. The smaller bottle could be placed forward there is definitely enough space. Just the concern of any affects on handling

8. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Finally have the hull off the shelf and ready for some cutting action this weekend:)

Attached Files:

9. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

Glad to see you working on this again. Montana is a beast of a ship

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Sooo while visualizing how I want to layout the internals and build the SS I came the realization that I never ordered a SS or turret covers from Strike! The SS I’m confident I can build from the plans but the turrets not so much. They look like they are the same or close enough to the Iowa’s turret covers. So question I have is, does anyone know if and where I can get my hands on turret covers and SS?

11. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Had a minor incident in the shipyard today. Was cutting windows and put the dremel down for a second. Turned away and heard a crash. Look back to see my little table on its side and the ship and tools on the ground. The table was off balance and the dremel was the last straw to send it over(face palm). Only thing to break was the blade. Lesson learned: always ensure everything is balanced and not on a incline lol

12. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Almost all windows are cut out. Just need to clean up a few corners in the stern and drill/cut the ones above the armor belt :)

Attached Files:

13. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Looks good.

14. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I completely missed this. But yeah it was sparkys. His wasn’t reloading if I remember correctly unless he upgraded it after I saw it ast. It’s a dream and seeing as I’m far from any big gun group and will busy with flight school I have the extra time to figure out how to make it work haha. As for now I’m mostly concerned with getting mains for both the Montana and Mac. I was going to see if I could sweet talk Jeff K. into selling me some of the ones he designed but alas we shall have wait and see.

15. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

I pulled the non reloading secondaries out and his mech. loaders on the mains do not work very well. I am putting two separate 16 oz bottles and regulator's with large capacity mag's. I hope to test it on the water next week end. He is working a new gun that is very compact and after testing maybe he will.

16. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

How large mags are you planning on using?

17. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

5-3/4" x 1/2" and at that width A & B mags almost touch. I made 4-1/2" for my H-39 and I think it holds with a single layer a little over 250 rounds so 5-3/4" should be just fine. Joe's pond is on the cozy side for combat room (cage match fighting) and no one is running the single shot torpedo cruisers, that is why I removed the secondaries and until there is a change I have no plans to install them.

18. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I was measuring and idk if I can have 5” + mags and still have them in correct locations

19. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

This boat has the guns at 5-7/8 center to center I do not know if that is correct with out the plans that it was built too but I would build to your plans.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  20. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ll double check. These plans (from strike) show I believe a 5” and just a hair over 3/4” center to center. The last I checked it was dark in the garage so it is possible I misread them.