Montana class big gun project.

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by jstod, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Same as mine then so a 5-1/2" mag will fit.

2. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Hmm true when it comes down to it I have never seen a BB go Winchester in a single battle or day of battling for that matter. I am a fan of carnage so I would love to see the rate of fire rules adjusted down a bit so the possibility of the big ships sinking rises a bit. but alas current rules are still a blast!

Build update: no progress on the hull as of this post but the shipyard (aka garage has been cleaned up and reorganized to allow comfortable building conditions

3. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ok so did not feel like cutting today (really don’t like it ) BUT I did epoxy the rudder shafts in place so that’s cool

Panzer likes this.
  4. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ok so rudder tubes are solid. Probably one more coat to seal it from outside. Also have the port side windows cut out and just need to do a little clean up on the corners and finish starboard up.

5. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Well all windows are now cut out thank god lol I don’t know how y’all who have many ships do that lol. Now need to clean a few up along with a couple spots on the hull then she will be ready for sheeting. Once I get skegs and shafts installed that is

Attached Files:

6. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Skeg work has begun. Not the prettiest way of cutting the pieces but it is getting the job done.....thus far

The picture shows the bottom edge roughly cut. Will sand the pieces for exact edge. I like This method of cutting. I only have a dremel and hand saw so I clamped 2 X12” long 1/8” thick and 2X 12” long by 1/4” thick pieces together. By cutting them together like this I’m able to so far ensure they all have the exact same shape.

Once they are cut out the plan is to use the 1/8” for the outer side. The 1/4” ones with have the shafts marked on them then cut to form a top and bottom part. In theory this should work once it’s all glued together and epoxied into the hull. In theory.

Attached Files:

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

No progress yet. I have a nasty habit of pausing and staring at what I’m working on, leaving and coming back multiple times to stare and think about how I want to proceed. Especially when it’s something I’ve never done before and don’t want to have to redo.

I’m thinking of just getting the skegs and shafts installed and then sheeting the hull so I can at a very minimum have an rc boat until guns are available for installation.

8. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Don't stop.

Nibbles1 likes this.
  9. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Oh I’ll never stop just contemplating how I want to do the skegs and life lol. After they are installed I’m going to sheet the hull and find the paint I want to use. I’m hesitant to do any real internal work until cannons can be put in. The good news is the hull is so massive that there is plenty of room for error.

Once she is sheeted I’m seriously considering building a fast gun ship to play with (nearest club is fast gun) at least until cannons are available and I find enough ppl near me to play.

Z Boat likes this.
  11. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Alright small amount of cutting for skegs was done. I’m definitely going to have to make a run to harbor freight and get a more adequate cutting tool. I’m currently using just a dremel and although it can and does get the job done it can be annoying haha

12. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Well hello again.
    it’s been awhile.

So we originally thought we were going to get stationed in NC after flight school and it looks like there is some big gun action in those parts (when the Covid isn’t around) so I restarted construction on Montana. See attached pics.

Alas the military changed its mind and we are headed to Ft Drum NY.

Looks like that’s fast gun country. That’s cool I’m gonna continue construction on Montana for now while I research fast gun 1)rules 2) local clubs as well as decide what my first FG ship is gonna be. I like battle cruisers. Really wish my Mac was legal but alas that is not up to me ‍
    I’ll keep y’all posted!
    Cheers,
    Jon

Attached Files:

darkapollo likes this.
  13. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Or start a big gun club up there! I can have my Jersey rebuilt in no time and have zero issues making the Bis shoot big gun too. Ft Drum isnt TOO far and plenty of lakes up there too.

14. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

If there was Enough interested experienced captains willing to play both formats I’d be down but for now I do Not have the time or ships unfortunately

15. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

Well if the big gun scene grows up there id be down for a weekend trip up north from Virginia. Ive got 2 bog gun ships in works. Parts are kinda slow to get atm. Hope crap picks up again soon.

jstod likes this.