Montana or Lexington Hull?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Pottle, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Plans for both Montana and CV2 lexington are available from 'The Floating Drydock', but there are no hull lines or cross-sections for the Montana.

With no hull lines and a possible 8 unit cap on the Montana the Lexington might be a better hull to build. Ralph would still need 6 confirmed sales before starting the project.

Bob

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Im not surprised, seeing as it was never actually built, the montanas lines could have changed, thu the plans would have. It will be a very ambitous project for anyone willing to take it up.

3. PreDread

PreDread Active Member

I think the Lexington Class has more sales potential...

If a way to to make the hull dual purpose (BC and Carrier) is possible. Looking at photos of the Lex as a carrier, it appears the original BC hull was altered at the orignal weather deck level by adding another deck on top of it. Perhaps building the hull as a BC, but having the option of a "casemate" that can be glassed on top of it to create the carrier hull.

Just a thought... and it would require having plans for both versions at hand to really get an idea of the hull mods.

4. BoomerBoy17

You might be right, the Lexington may have more sales potentail. it is like the Cleveland/Independence hull sells well from BC, because it can be a convoy or a warchip. But i also like Battleships and the Montana would have been well equiped.

5. klibben

klibben Member

I've seen plans of the Montana with the hull lines- contact Buddy Friend to see if his have any, if his don't then let me know and I'll see what I can dig up for you (if you decide to go with Monty).

As far as the unit cap I was only speculating - I've never actually heard of one... just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if someone didn't like the idea of their Iowa being grossly outclassed so they try to institute a cap to keep themselves some of the top dogs on the pond...

The BBS ruleset I have only goes up to 8 units for Yamato - but from looking at the general pattern I would assume standard displacement Monty would be at least 9 units, heavy displacement at least 10. Heck, if it was up to me I'd throw in an extra unit just to make it worth someones while so I could see her out there....

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Photos of a Montana laid down in the WWCC. She had a fine wooden hull, some massive cannons, and two twenty ounce bottles. She was to have a second person as gunner for the main cannons in the stern. The idea was to let the rear gunner focus on accurate gunning and block off an area from the opposing team for long periods of time, especially during the campaign game. It was sold before completion, and I don't know what is happening to it now.

http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/index.php?set_albumName=album28&option=com_gallery&Itemid=85&include=view_album.php

7. klibben

klibben Member

Wow, nice lookin hull - I figured she'd be bigger though!

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There was also a Lexington in the WWCC, the USS Ranger. Unfortunately it has not seen action since before I joined the club :(
    http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/album09

9. BoomerBoy17

What a good looking ship, i would consider that ship, it is very nice. too bad you never got to see it

10. Klems

Klems Member

I have a preference toward the Lexington. Tell you what, if a hull ever does get produced, I'm in. But yes, I agree finding hull lines is going to be a problem.

11. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Getting the Lexington hull lines is not a problem. However, unless 6 people are willing to commit to buy a Lexington hull and make at least partial advance payment to Ralph, the project won't proceed.

He just had another situation where someone ordered hulls and decided not to buy them after they were made. That's why he prefers (and should be insisting on, IMO) payment in advance.

Bob

12. BoomerBoy17

Klems, u still alive? I asked some questions on your topic of the LST-542, if you would answer, i would be pretty happy.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

A Montana in the rule format I developed would be class 10- 11 units. Yamato is capped at 9 -10 units. It would be allowed no more than 4 firing cannons in a side quadrant so one example of set up would be Tripple port,Tripple Stbd,Single stern sidemount, and tripple stern .

Be nice to see a Montana around.

14. BoomerBoy17

Curt, what rule format did you develope. i would like to see more of it, becuase i am liking the way it sounds

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hi what ships do you have an I can give you examples of how your ships would be set up.

16. BoomerBoy17

I was just wondering how you figured out the number of units per ship, but i wouldnt mind knowing what you would give the French Batleship Rechilieu

17. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Bob
    I have the Garzke book on U.S battleships. It has a great line drawing along with nice rib cross sections.
    I can sent it to Ralph if he dicides to go with the Montana.
    I will also commit to buying one hull.

I do not have anything on the Lexingtons, but can contact BDE about plans.
    I will also commit to buying one of these hulls.
    Will keep you posted.
    Mikey

18. Klems

Klems Member

I stumbled across this today: Visit this site

Its a paper model of the Lexington as a CV. I know the quality on this sucks, but the Saratoga .PDF I have is in much better quality. If I only had a place to upload it as its 70 MB. It might help with the hull lines a bit.

19. BoomerBoy17

why would some one make a paper model? ahhh..chowww! opps, its gone. i mean, why not just build a real one?

20. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

You sink paper models with spitballs?