Montana or Lexington Hull?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Pottle, Jun 30, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

No, with sneezes, pure power in the form of 100mph air exiting my nose.

2. RiverRaider

RiverRaider Member

Hello Bob,

I have not been lucky enough to ever see a real set of plans for the battlecruiser version.
    So I am not sure if what I have would be helpful for a battlecruiser. I have a real set of plans for
    Hull No.1300 Lexington Airplane Carrier No2. It is the faired lines from
    Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp. Ltd. they are dated August 9th 1926. It contains the three hull line
    views and four half breadths tables, four height tables and two armor shelf tables. Let me know if this is something you could use.

Have good day,

RiverRaider

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Thanks RiverRaider,
    Ralph is thinking of building CV-2 not the battlecruiser, so your plans may be useful. There are full plan sets available from Floating Drydock too.

At this point the question is how many people would commit to buying a Montana or Lexington hull.Ralph needs a minimum of 6 for either project, but so far there aren't enough people interested.

Bob

4. BoomerBoy17

the battlecruiser would be nice though. How much would the Lexington hull go for Bob? i might be interested if the price is right.

5. Bob Pottle

I don't know what Ralph would charge - probably about the same price BC charges for similar large hulls (ie Yamato). Shipping from Canada would be more expensive. Contact Ralph at ralphster30@hotmail.com re probable pricing.

Bob

6. BoomerBoy17

Oh, thats probably a bit much for me right now.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

:) You get what you pay for, man! :)

8. BoomerBoy17

Im not saying that its not worth it, but, That prabably a bit much for. Now, your $40 LST-542 class landing ship hull, is more like it.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

It wasn't easy to figure out workable forumula but the basics gist is I used the Full Load Displacement Tonnage Values(Non Metric) instead of the Standard Displacement Values currently used.The info on both IRCWCC and MWC gave me a great starting point but they were not my only sources. I was tryng to figure out how to make the game more competitive and fair at the same time trying to address various issues with number of units allocated without going overboard but keeping it within the game format. There were a lot of other factors also but again too in depth to get into at this time.

The only real changes is the number of units assigned based on the class and type, creating a range of Tonnages for the ships in the class/type(s). Other changes was opening up the bow and stern quadrants to 60 degrees as opposed to 30 degrees.This allows the sidemounts, fwd port fwd stbd segments to be incorporated much easier. The Side Quadrants are reduced to 120 segments.

There had to be of course limitations in number of cannons that can face a sidequadrant but my intention was to allow more FREEDOM of choice for the Captain to position those units particular for a few ships that just by their nature were severly handicapped.

Richileiu for example is a "BATTLESHIP". Her FLD displacement falls within 44,000 Tons- 50,999 tons range. This means that whereas under the Standard Displacement she would be just a class 6 with dual sidemounts and 1 single stern cannon + pump she now is able to carry 7.5 units. With the rule to allow up to 4 firing cannons from a single turret or no more than 4 firing cannons in total in a sidequadrant there are a lot of choices here. You could go with a Quad sidemount port, dual sidemount stbd and a 75 rd for the stern
    or if you want to have more than a single stern than you can mount a single cannon through the secondary turrets for the stern.
    You can break your half unit down as a 50 unit cannon with a 1/2 pump. A few more options here. If you want to rotate one of the forward turrets that's fine as long as that turret when facing the same sidequadrant as the turret already there does not exceed the total of 4Firing cannons in a sidequadrant.

That's just one example. I am waiting to get a Excell spreadsheet program so that I can get this on disc. [;)]

Richeileu would be more competitive this way than it is currently under the current format.

Just a hint of what I am working on. I am converting my KGV, YAMATO, CALIFORNIA(Post refit)Bismarck, GrafSpee. The beauty is if I want to compete with the current fast gun clubs I can easily do that by disconnecting a couple of cannons.If you wanted to upgrade no need for a complete overhaul or changeout. Think of it as semi-BG but more or less in between the 2 styles.

[:)]

10. BoomerBoy17

Curt, i am looking forward to that spreadsheet. That is really interesting stuff.

11. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

OpenOffice has the spreadsheet covered, along with word processing, presentations and database. See - http://openoffice.org. That's what I use at home exclusively nowadays, even though I've got licensed copies of MS Office.

cheers
    Jeff

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

admiraljkb thanks for that info. I will check into it. Can't wait to get started on it. Thanks again.

13. BoomerBoy17

Best of Luck Curt

14. Bob Pottle

The latest word from Ralph Coles (July 28) is that there isn't enough interest in the hulls for him to proceed with either the Lexington CV or hypothetical Montana Class projects. Guess that ends this topic.

Bob

15. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I was hoping that there would be enough interest in one of these great ships, but to be honest, I am not surprised that there just isn't.
    Now-a-days, it is hard to find enough interest in a boat that is allowed in all formats to get 5-6 orders up-front.
    Oh well. Maybe next time.
    Mikey