Montana Project

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by CURT, Oct 31, 2013.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Picked up from a Party store a 1 U.S. gallon of Fog machine smoke fluid .This I will use instead of the mineral oil for the Smoke generator .Should produce a less toxic smoke and better plume .

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    froggyfrenchman likes this.
  2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

USS MONTANA was launched today. The launch overall was successful . Performance was good but could be better. I found it just needed a little more power. Pump and all other systems worked well. The smoke generator I could not tell as it was a little breezy so I only glimpsed the smoke coming out of the funnels briefly before the wind took a hold of it . The model seemed a little top heavy but not surprised as there are copper pump running the height of both funnels inside of them plus the piping assemble connecting both beneath the main deck hatch so that is contributing to the tippiness but it was mostly steady. Leaned hard into tight turns at speed. Forward and reverse control was good and control and maneuvering at minimal speed was very good. She was running more like a scale speed or crusing speed but not Full speed. Full throttle from a stationary position the props seemed to cavitate and had trouble moving her up to speed. However if gradually eased into the higher speeds the props seemed to bite better and move it Montana along pretty good. 6V seemed minimal so I may switch to 12v power and nudge the motors up to 8v or 9 and see if I can get it up to full speed . The pump worked but took a while to get break in and send streams of water to full height. It was tested again and now is working normally. Turning radious was very tight but too much rudder and she comes to almost a dead stop so need more power to get her through hard tight turns. Reverse power is good and stopping is no problem. The big issue was water entering through a seam around the stuffing tube exiting the skeg on the starboard side which when the model is thrown into reverse the water is forced through and enters the hull by flowing around the stuffing tube exterior inside the skeg itself and somehow finding a way into the hull. Fortunately the pump took care of it but not enough as I need more water channeling in and around the motor mounts and aft section of the interior. around the skegs inside the hull. She seemed a little nose heavy when sailing so the ballast will be adusted to lighten it up slightly at the bow and have the water pool towards the pump located aft of the motors. Other than that the gears were loud but normal for new gears just getting started and the prop shafts need a little more running time to loosen up a little more. Other than that it was a successful launch and so just debugging from here on in.

froggyfrenchman and Beaver like this.
  3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Up date USS Montana. I modified the battery tray to accommodate the 12v SLA brick batteries .Sealed the openings at the rear backing exterior portion of the skeg
    Sealed gaps around the inside portion of the skeg. Improved the water channeling in the aft section of the hull. Removed the additional ballast in the bow section and stern section. Adjusted the portside gear box gears and motor mount. Then hooked up the 3 12v for the drive, RX , Servos and the ESC and smoke generator. 12v 21 amps and the dedicated 12v 12amps for the bilge pump. Gave it all a test and was very pleased. The smoke generator using 8V power was able to send thick smoke through the forward and aft stacks simultaneously and that was a sight to see. The engines delivered excellent power through the shafts and the pump was working beautifully. Weight now 46 lbs so I will go with that and test it. If I need to trim it I can use the additional ballast to trim it out.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Montana update. Here are some pics of the the 2nd attempt and successful launch of the USS MONTANA ...

Attached Files:

NickMyers likes this.
  5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

More pics....

Attached Files:

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I got more video but need to edit it . It is from the camcorder and not the phone.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Montana was weighed again with the new battery setup. So with the 4 12v batteries model now weighs 46 lbs . That is fine as there will be additionalmechanical features and other stuff to go aboard . Items such as the mechanisms for 4 turret rotation, speaker and sound board for Main Armament secondary and AAA firing and Klaxon sound effects and finally a running light system along with searchlights .

froggyfrenchman and NickMyers like this.
  8. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Probably the best looking model ship I have ever seen. Very nice job indeed.
    You have outdone yourself sir!
    Mikey

CURT likes this.
  9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Mikey I am honored by your kind remarks . You guys put me up to the task and I did not want to disappoint .

10. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

She looks great..
    Nikki

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Had the Montana out again this time testing the 12v battery system as opposed to the 6v on the inaugural Launch. Ship ran well through the speeds. I did not open it up to full power for the first while. But as the power was waning down I could push the throttle stick to full postion. The Smoke Generator billowed very very well and it could be seen easily despite the breeze and gusty winds. The model as thought performed better tight turns with speed at high power. This time no water entered through the skeg . The model was stopped for a moment as spectators asked me questions. The model was about 3ft from the shoreline bow in. After the questions were answered I attempted to start the model but no response. I retrieved it before the wind could blow it out of my reach.

On the bench at the shoreline I checked the 3 12v 7amp batteries individually and the meter showed all were still at 12v. I was unable to determine if the amperage was low and if so if that was what caused the ESC to power off. I tried them seperatly to power up the ESC and it still worked. I tried 6v batteries next run and it worked too. The only thing I did notice both runs was that the drive system was making a kind of grinding sound. Upon retrieval from the 6v battery run I popped the quarterdeck hatch and inspected the starboard gearbox as that was where I was hearing the sound. I also checked the props and the starboard prop was further away from the skeg base then the port prop. So a coupling or thrust bearing had let go. Checked the gears and noticed the large flywheel and thrust bearing were spinning freely . Well sort of . You see the flywheel has a brass sleeve insert that would sleeve over the prop shaft itself for a better fit within the flywheel center bearing. The sleeve had worked it's way loose from inside the shaft tunnel of the gearbox . This must have caused friction and heat and it caused the fly wheel along with the thrust bearing to let go of the prop shaft . It was not meshing with the motor pinion gear.

I pulled the shaft out and notched it a little more but the big issue was the sleeve. Part of it was still inside the gearbox stuffing tube shaft tunnel and the large flywheel and the thrust bearing collar did not have enough space for me to remove from the sleeve inside the gear box . The motor mount bulkhead was in the way. I tried many things but eventually I used plyers to try and twist the sleeve out of the shaft tunnel housing. Well I got it out alright but I snapped the large gearwheel in 2 pieces. Well I ran the prop shaft through without the sleeve and secured another thrust bearing . Spun it manually and it had no wobble but better clearance inside the housing of the gearbox shat tunnel. Gave it a powered test and it seemed to do the trick. Won't know till the next sea trial.

Meanwhile the North Carolina had a great run. The pump I activated then tried to shut off but it stayed on during the run. Unbeknownst to me the pump impellor either jammed or the motor itself seized I don't know but apparently the motor it self had a meltdown and melted the plastic cap at the top of the motor where the connector tabs are . That entire cap melted . The wires were scorched but not all the way through. I use 14 g wire so the insulation is thicker. However the underside of the deck hatch above the pump motor was burned or scorched dark brown with bubble blisters. Obviously from flames that were coming from the motor can itself. I did not see any smoke from the model but the wind may have taken care of it or other than that the pump sorta put out it's own fire from within. The pump switch was inside the hull which is a push on push off type of switch momentary was seized in the on position. I think the impellor jammed or something and the motor was still spinning causing friction and heat and eventually flame.

I have that pump and the switch and the wiring removed and have cannobilzed the Missouri's pump and switch harness and wiring . Just need to hook up and install and should be good as new.

Before any of this happened there were 2 local newspaper reporters and photogs who came by and interviewed me and took pics of Montana and North Carolina. They said I should see it in the newspaper either tomorrow's edition or Saturday edition. Will get copies and scan the pic and post it here.

Curt

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Fixed the issue with the gearbox and tested all the systems. All is a go for the next sea trial. Also found out the problem with the pump in NC. 2 Impeller blades broke off and jammed the impeller itself causing totally failure of the whole system. I took the pump from the Mo and installed it but still need to connect the wiring harness and the activation switch. Should be a go for the next run. Next run though going to take Yamato out with the Montana.

Beaver likes this.
  13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

USS MONTANA 3rd outing report. Today the Montana was run on 3 12v batteries for the drive system and subsystems and the pump was changed from 12v battery to 6v battery. This corrected the trim of the model and it was perfect. Montana sailed flawlessly today for about 1.5 hours before the voltage or amperage or both was getting to low for the ESC to continue the connection with the TX. The model performed maneuvers very well and handled like a dream. No issues to report this time. All systems were go. Yamato went out for a spin too and nothing to report there.

Both ships were noticed by the local media so they interviewed me and filmed the ships . You can see the segments on my Titans Of The Sea page on FB .

Cheers.

Curt

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well the last outing was very successful. I soaked the ESC with cold water and it ran far longer than usual. I had no issues afterward with the ESC getting too warm so I was able to play around with the speeds even more. Ship performed flawlessly. Bismarck also had a great long run. Hoping to get out again this Friday weather permitting . If not I can work on the firing demo box for the show this OCT 29TH .

absolutek and NickMyers like this.
  15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Montana update. Well the last outing was extremely brief. Moss totally stopped my starboard prop. After it was cleared I heard a knocking sound and noticed the starboard prop was not turning. One thing about Montana even on one prop I was able to drive the ship and maneuver her in so that was good. After inspection I found that the motor it self was not turning the gears over. However when when switching from fwd to rvs while holding the motor itself I could feel something knocking around. Unable to do anything about it lakeside I packed up and went home.

Currently the stock drive kit motors are removed and I am midway to installing the Graupner 700 SPEED BB Turbos in it. These have a built in internal fan inside the motor which keep them cool.
    I had them sitting around since 1995 . Never used.

Meanwhile getting things prepared for the upcoming International Model Plastic Society Show NL chapter. I will be setting up my display as Special Guest. On display will be Yamato, Montana, Bismarck, North Carolina, Roma, Hulls Rodney, Dunkerque uncut, Graf Spee and VU cut out and 1 uncut VU and a target freighter ship. Vidos of RC combat and of course firing demos using the BB firing box equipped with two 50 round coil cannons. I will have links and source material there. Also will be picture poster boards of rc combat battles and a media board filled with newspaper clippings of the ships.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Update... I have the Graupner 12v 700 E in the gear boxes . I had issues with the setscrew taking hold of the motor through the gear box to secure it. I do not know how well it well hold. I think over the course of the winter I will get a new set for the Montana exclusively. Meanwhile the railings that rimmed the quarterdeck and forward section around the 1 and 2 turrets have been removed due to excessive damage from handling abuse. Over the winter I will probably relace those with a much stronger set or just leave as is. The stern railing and the bow railing are still aboard.
    I will not have time to get the turrets to rotate and seeing as how the cold weather is approaching quickly and the show is fast coming up so I do not need the dust to pile up on the models at this point.

Hope to get Montana for 1 more run before things get secured in the shed for the winter .

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Montana off the shelf and on the bench and boy it needs a cleaning.. 20210519_093806.jpg

darkapollo likes this.
  18. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Thats a good looking ship, Curt!

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks. It looks great when not buried in dust!

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1608741829486.jpg

darkapollo likes this.