More Free Plans: FN Bearn CV

Discussion in 'General' started by mike5334, Feb 18, 2008.

1. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Following Tugboat's lead, here is another set of free plans! The ship is the French Bearn CV aircraft carrier. Used primarily as a aircraft transport, it saw little combat at all because the thing was practically obsolete by the time WW2 started. Heh.

The model on the other hand has lots of potential. Yes, it is slow, but with dual rudders, 4 shafts, and a modestly short length the ship should turn very well indeed. It does well as a fast gun convoy ship due to it's maneuvering. In Treaty Combat, it's a 5 unit ship suited for slow combat. As a 1/96 scale ship ... well, it may be pretty nasty once the carrier rules are settled. Heh.

The plans are in two sizes, 144th and 96th. They are located at Visit this site

This is the first set of plans I've worked over, so the quality is so so. The next set of plans I post will be much better. :)

Enjoy!

EDIT: Discovered the 1/144th plan was scaled in the wrong size and replaced it with a true 144th scale plan. I haven't a clue how I managed to scale it wrong in the first place.

2. mike5334

Opps. Forgot to mention that there is two plan sets for each scale.

The first file is a "builders" plan with basic rib sections, side view, and a top view for making the subdeck.

The second file is a cleaned up and scaled version of the original French ship plans containing top, side, and front view of the completed ship.

Apologies for the oversight!

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

It is an interesting ship class on its own right. Turbines on the outers shafts and Triple expansion on the inner ones. Not that it has any effect on the model ship at all. Just interesting.

4. klibben

klibben Member

Okay, seriously guys.... Mike, Clark... i think this calls for a bahamavention...

If you keep posting french ships your going to turn us all froggy! Quit tempting us! post some manly ships (ie Japanese). hehe.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Actually, the next two that I'm posting are the British King George V, and the Dutch Java/Sumatra class CL. I'll post some Japanese and German plans after that.

6. Anachronus

The first or second King George V?

7. mike5334

We NEED more French ships on the water! It gets so lonely at times ... heh.

Frankly though, I like the idea of no cost plans so will keep cleaning and posting the free French plans from the French web site. Maybe this will free Clark up to do other countries. :)

8. klibben

klibben Member

yes i agree, there is a shortage of French ships.

As long as its not all french i'm fine, hehe. actually as long as their free i'm still fine....... i just prefer japanese. hehe.

9. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The only french we need are french fries.:) Actually it would be nice to see other designs of ships on the water. Whether it is French, Russian or any other navy they are all welcome to be show at.

10. klibben

klibben Member

Russian i wouldn' mind, allied but still evil. hehe.

But french fries? puh-lease, they are FREEDOM FRIES. hehe.

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Sorry J, it's the second one. If I can find shipyard plans or equivalent, I'll do the first one, but don't hold your breath. Connecticut and Georgia will get done first, along with the odd French pre-dread. But with all the other ship plans in the shop and hard drive, it'll be more than a year before I buy some from England's repository of naval plans. They are not cheap over there. The Dutch official plans are much less expensive. Not sure why, but them's the breaks.

12. Anachronus

I had contacted the NMM about some plans and they never got back to me with the pricing. I guess I will have to visit them in person. (Oh the horrors!)
    I guess if one must do a '39-'45 BB, the KGV's are not that bad. I rather like the look of them.

13. Logan Gyre

Logan Gyre Member

Link doesn’t work

14. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

15. Logan Gyre

Logan Gyre Member