More Free Plans: FN Suffren CA

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by mike5334, Feb 18, 2008.

1. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Heres another one! It is the French cruiser Suffern.

The Suffren is a nice trim ship with great lines and superstructure. The model would have some nice features for a combat such as twin rudders, 3 shafts, and modest speed. If you can get away with it, you can even use stringers for the armor belt. :)

For the small gun clubs, it's a 3 unit, 23 second ship.

In Battlestations, it mounts 8x 3/16" guns firing every 4 seconds plus 12 torpedoes. It's also pretty quick at 36 seconds. It's weakness is the paper thin 1/32" armor.

The files can be found at Visit this site

This will be the next ship I build for MWCI combat. It'll also be my first Battlestation's combat ship too. :)

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Mikey, you've got mail, man.

3. mike5334

I'll have to check it afer I get home today ... work blocks web mail. :(

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

So what does Echelle de 0m03 p.m. mean?

3cm = 1 metre?

5. mike5334

Not sure, but the plans are already scaled to the correct sizes. Just take the tiff file to a printer and make sure they do not scale it while printing and the plans will come out correctly. :)

6. Anachronus

Yes, for the ones posted. I am working on the plans of the Condorcet. The frames have that legend for the scale.

j.

7. Tugboat

If anyone who is stepping into the free plans party needs any help with Gimp, or anything of that nature please feel free to drop me a line... I spent many hours learning fast and slow ways to do things.

8. Anachronus

Haven't tried GIMP. I am using an old version of Photoshop that will eventually be unrunnable on my machine. (it is PPC code so should be good for the life of 10.5)

I may look you up for advice. I assume it works similarly to Photoshop?

9. Tugboat

It has similar functions, and there is a plugin (also free) called "Gimpshop" that makes it very similar to Photoshop for you PS guys out there.

10. mike5334

Believe it or not, I'm still using the venerable MS Paint for editing the tiff files. It's what I'm used to. Gimp may be better, but some things I haven't figured out yet, like how to do straight lines. Heh.

After the plans are all cleaned up, I use Gimp to rescale the plans. Gimp's rescaling feature, file compression, and adjustable DPI makes it easy to get a good resized drawing.

I'm sorely tempted to try to print at home using Tile Print. It is software that breaks a graphic file into 8" x 11" chunks for printing on normal printers. I would have to tape all of those smaller sheets together for a plan, but it's easy due to Tile Print's alignment marks on each sheet.

11. Tugboat

Straight line in Gimp:

Having selected the pencil, with the color of your choice...

Click&release the left mouse button at the start point.
    Press SHIFT and hold it down as you move the pointer. You will see the line between the start point and the pointer move as you move the pointer around.
    When you get the line where you want it...
    Click and release the left mouse button again. Voila!

Even better for big areas... select a rectangular area that you want cleaned, and then CTRL + "." for background fill :) I use that one a lot. If you're drawing in white (spot cleaning, as it were, you can do foreground fill in a selected area with CTRL + "," as an alternative.

12. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

hey for these plans, how would i bring the tiff. files to a printer-place? im kinda interested in doing a wooden hull for a suffren

13. Tugboat

Put the tiff file on a usb flash drive and take that to the printing place. If you have a blueprint shop around, they're almost always cheaper than Kinkoe's by a wide margin.

14. BoomerBoy17

no, no blueprints place i know of, but i do know of a good kinkos near my dad's house. But thanks, that helps me. what do you think about the Suffren, should i go with it?

15. Tugboat

I dunno :) It depends on what you want to do; As a cruiser goes, they're nice boats.

16. BoomerBoy17

I want a cheap, simple build, that gives me some experience, but wont be too much of a major player, but i want it to be able to deal with other, slower ships. I like the simplicity and availability of kits, but i also want to make my own ship with good plans. I think this fits the bill, and i like the ship too. I dont want a complex, large ship, as i have neither the time, money or style that is necessary to build and battle a big battleship. I want to have a simple ship, that while is a minor player is well built and fast. I think that this is for me. as i figure it out, ill relay more info to the guys here.

17. mike5334

I highly recommend going through the Bearn build thread for tips on building a solid wood ship. It has some good basic building concepts in it that will make your first wood ship a winner. :)

18. BoomerBoy17

yea, i really like that thread, and i drew inspiration from it.

19. Logan Gyre

Logan Gyre Member

Link is broken

20. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--