Motor capacitor question?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by ZARUBA1987, Dec 25, 2019.

1. ZARUBA1987

ZARUBA1987 Well-Known Member

Hey guys and gals got a question about a recent problem we had during a battle. So my sons Duca still getting things straight. Sea trials went well and even her first battle was okay. So second battle problem rudder servo going crazy glitching NUTS every time the pump was on. So after trouble shooting it dawned on me. The pump motor was interfering with the signal. So I dug around and found a old drive motor that had a capacitor did a quick rap around between the motor connection and bam problem solved wooo hooo! So now I’m wanting to install capacitors on my drive motors and pumps to prevent future problems. So the capacitor I installed has no numbers so no help there dang. I read many articles but everyone has there own idea on what works. So I’m hopping someone with experience in this matter can get me straight on capacitors

John Z.

2. ZARUBA1987

thegeek likes this.
  3. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

I've always followed this guide
    http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/109879-installing-motor-capacitors.html

Even before I found it, this is pretty much what I did for capacitors, as taught to me by my father who raced cars back in the day, and won some trophies.

Sadly it looks like the pictures are no longer on that website though, so not sure if it can help that much.

3 caps, one between poles, and 1 from each pole to the can.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Are you still running switches for throttle? I have not seen interference like that since before I went to 2.4GHz and ESC's for everything

-Greg

5. ZARUBA1987

No sir no switches. Running B-board, 3s lipo, Turnigy 2.4. With a hobby wing 1060 esc. My Doria is running basically the same set up except my Esc is an 880 Hobbywing and I have no issues

6. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

Looks like you solved your particular problem but I’ve also heard of servo twitching due to:
    -servo lead too close to motors/solenoids
    -corrosion on servo connector (especially when using extensions)
    -bad servo
    -bad Rx
    -un-capped motors with with the lower frequency radios
    -dual sources of power to Rx (drive ESC and pump ESC without one having the bec removed)

ZARUBA1987 likes this.
  7. ZARUBA1987

All good points