motor position

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by The Texan, Apr 18, 2013.

1. The Texan

The Texan Member

i agree with scaling hydrodynamics, and it's probably the better solution like you said, so i believe i will use that when i start construction

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Then I'd suggest looking at bigger props and bigger/faster motors. An 11 ft ship weighing 100+ lbs going 15 ft/s is going to take a bit of effort, and it isn't likely to be cheap.

3. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

A ship this size warrants the use of some serious propulsion...perhaps even a proper electric trolling motor?

4. The Texan

The Texan Member

it might need something that big i do agree with the large amount of propulsion to get the monstrosity of a canoue moving

5. The Texan

The Texan Member

if i was to gear the motor what would be a desierable gearing for the ship?

6. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Whatever works and allows your motors to run efficiently and the props to produce the desired thrust to meet your speed requirements. The answer depends on what prop and motor you end up with as what has been mentioned here probably isn't suitable to do what you want it to do. It's probably best to get building the hull and then figure hot how big a prop you can fit under it and how big a motor you can fit in it and work from there.

7. The Texan

The Texan Member

okay, thank you, i will keep that in mind when i stat building, in late May

8. The Texan

The Texan Member

what batteries would you recomend to power the ship? i read that Lipos don't like water at all, is that true?

9. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

If trying to keep the cost down, normal sealed lead acid batteries will work just fine. In such a large ship, weight will not be an issue. Heh.

10. The Texan

The Texan Member

like the 12 volt automatic gate opener batteries?

11. mike5334

Sure. That should work. Just make sure it is a SLA and not a refillable type.

12. The Texan

The Texan Member

i had a thought could you use gas powered motors from rc planes to power your ship, i have several smaller motors that could have enough power.

13. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I think the lack of proper cooling would be a problem. Also, there are many places where you cant actually use gas motors.

14. The Texan

The Texan Member

hadn't thought about cooling them, so that is out of the question, sorry trying to use what i have without having to buy a whole bunch

15. The Texan

The Texan Member

with three motors would having seperate ESC's for each motor work better or have all three motors run off one? i've read on here it's better to have redundancy.

16. mike5334

Depends on the motory type. It is possible to run multiple brushed motors on one ESC. My first ship, a Richelieu, was set up that way with two motors on one 100 amp ESC. The motors were wired in parallel just in case one motor failed (which happened twice for various reasons). The key is to have an ESC with enough amp capacity to carry the load of three motors.

If going brushless, then each motor requires an ESC. It is not possible to run multiple brushless motors on one ESC.

If the ship will have turning motors (rpm difference between inside and outside props to help turning), one esc per motor is needed.

17. The Texan

The Texan Member

ok thank you, because you had sugjested to have the propeller on the inboard side of the turn reverse to help turning, so multiple ecs's will be needed, also i was thinking about having the rudder control arms crossed so that the inboard rudder turns further than the outboard rudder, hopefully helping with turning as well. how well does that work?

18. mike5334

We've seen a lot of ships with differential rudder setups and most will turn as good or better than a straight setup.

19. The Texan

The Texan Member

ok, i had read that on the Bearn build and wondered if it worked, also how strong would the servo have to be to turn the rudders to move the canoe.

20. mike5334

Ah, you are kinda in uncharted territory on that one. Heh. The size of the ship will most likely need something stronger than a standard sized analog servo. Hmmm ... then again, one servo per rudder may do the trick.