Motors for drive and Pump

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by wdodge0912, Feb 16, 2019.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

So I was decided to assemble the motor mount and pump I have for the SMS Posen. I noticed when putting them together that the 550 motors I have are both a round shaft. And I dont really feel like grinding/cutting/some other method to put a flat spot on the shafts of them so a set screw will set.

Inwas thinking about maybe getting some other motors that already have the flat on it, weather that be the same RS motor, or perhaps some other 550 sized motor.

I was looking at the Holmes Hobby Trailmaster 550 motor for a possible replacement. I know it's considerably more expensive at $20, compared to a RS550 at $5, but it would have the flats, and can be had in 12, 21 and 27 turns. It should mount right in place of the RS550.

being that I don't have the tools here at home, nor even some kind of mount or any kind of jig to make the flat spot on the RS550, what would the suggestion be for a motor with the flatapot already.

I'm not so much concerned with the drive motor, I feel any decent RC motor would work, as at 28 seconds I doubt the motor would be at full capacity. It's the pump motor I'm really looking at.

Also, I know they are older. but I have some good rebuildable Kyosho stock (27t) 540 motors, at least 6 that I know of that are in a case. Could those be useful for a drive motor. I do have a gearbox for the boat.

I should mention that all this is while I'm working on getting the boat going. The hull is currently at my Dad's house and he is doing the small repairs tonite and going to get the windows the proper size while he is layed off of work due to the cold weather. Next weekend I will be getting with him and going over to my uncles polebarn/woodshop and getting some of the neccessary wood cut for the ship as well.

as for cost, I am left for major purchases the radio gear and batteries. I'll be buying the radio here soon, and I asked my dad if he would be willing to buy the batteries I need and help out with the boat in trade for my vintage clodzilla clodbuster that he sold back in the day and I ended up tracking down, buying, and buying a ton of parts for, which is a really good deal for him as I need like $100 in batteries and have well over triple that for the truck and parts.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Flat spot is easy. Grab shaft with blunt nosed pliers. Use dremel to grind. Elapsed time- 20sec. Don’t let it intimidate you.

Evan Fowler, bsgkid117 and Kevin P. like this.
  3. wdodge0912

If I could use a bench grinder, I can bring them to work with me and do that here. I don't have a dremel at home, mine is currently at my dad's house.

And if there is a motor to upgrade to, I'm not opposed with starting out with them. I just wanted to get the bilge pump assembled so I didnt have to do that later.

4. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

5. wdodge0912

i have one, just not at my house, it's in with all my other RC stuff in storage in my dad's basement. I'm just trying to get as much done as I can in the mean time.

as for the motor, i figured it would be overkill for drive, but how about for the bilge pump?

also, from what I can find, the 21t is 23,000rpm @ 12 volt no load. I'll be running 6v, so half that is 11500. then give it a generous 80% efficiency, and it's at 9200rpm working. rough estimates that aren't probably any way related to real world applications, but i also will be running it through a gear box, just have to come up with the gear ratio i need.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

The motors from BC will have a much longer life than lower turn motors, especially on the pump, with an output that is essentially the same. The length of time to type up that post surely exceeds the time required to put a flat area on a motor shaft. Must learn to turn the typing time into workshop time, wonderful things will happen. There are very few times I work on boats that I do not use a dremel

bsgkid117, buttsakauf and WillCover like this.