Musashi or Yamato

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Spartan089, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Spartan089

Spartan089 New Member

Yes I'm aware that the Yamato and musashi are adentical ships, but in ur opinion which do you think is a better ship. I've looked at Curt's Yamato and Carl's Musashi and they bith look the same yet different at the same time.

2. Spartan089

Spartan089 New Member

Also does anyone have detailed plans for the Yamato.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Look for the book Anatomy of the ship The battleship Yamato

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Yeah, if that book can't make you want to build one, you have no soul for ships :) It's got great detail. As far as which one to build... In all rulesets that I know of, both of them are identical. There are minor details that are different, but the combat power is identical in our hobby.

5. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Being they are both Identical, I would build the Yamato because of the history of this ship & the meaning behind the name.

Look up "Yamato Spirit"

6. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Do you mean what to call it? in that case i would call It a Musashi...

7. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Spartan,
    Curt and Carl's Yamato and Musashi, both of which I know from battling against them, are quite different in appearance.

The main reason is that Curt builds superdetailed combat models, often with some humorous additions such as a line of washing on the superstructure or a cow on board, while most of us omit the details because they'll eventually be shot off.

Aside from the degree of detailing the ships had different secondary and tertiary armament during their careers. I forget whether Carl's model has the original 6" turrets port and starboard on the main deck; Curt's has the later heavy AA armament instead.

At one time there were 3 Yamato Class models in the NABS fleet and all of them looked different.

Bob

8. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Musashi actually never got the heavier AA armament before she was sunk. She had the 6.1" removed, but the 5"40s were not available for her before Leyte Gulf, and she had triple 25mm installed instead. Yamato actually got the AA upgrade, with I believe 2 5"40 cal replacing each of the "wing" 6.1" triple turrets. I seem to recall reading that the Musashi was regarded as the better of the two ships, although for what reasons or where I read it I can't recall.

Mike D

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Musashi was the better because she had improved faciltities on board for Flag Admirals and these quarters were equipped with AIR CONDITIONING. Other than that they were both identical with only sparse differences.Yamato was outfitted with 6 more dual purpose AA and of course dozens of AAA.

Originally both ships would have even been equipped with more armamanent in the form of tripple AAA. I used a top down photo of the official model of Musashi. She had gun tubs at the bow (3) and several more back aft and all around the ship. These were domed. As well her dual purpose guns 12 domes with 2 barrles of 5.9 in . The upper and lower AAs were domed. Course during the war with dwindling resources and time both ships were not built up to their full compliment.

Curious too Bismarck herself was sent to sea without all of her equipment. She was missing Night Radars adn other range finding equipment. Fortuntly her battles occured during daylight. What a waste of a unit to send to sea without key fighting equimpent.

Tirpitz received all of her equipment standard and received additional upgrades, hence the heavier displacement.

[:)]

10. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

I saw a episode (don;t know what it was called) on discovery channel about Bismark. they said that the German navy had a policy of not sending units to sea until they were at least 6 months old (counting from commissioning) had they waited 2 months the Bis and the Tirpitz would have sailed at the same time a long with the cruiser Prince Eugen.
    That would have been some thing to see, ohh wooulda coulda shoulda! hind sight is 20/ 20 they say.

Darren