MWC Nats

Discussion in 'MWC (defunct)' started by djranier, Jul 25, 2009.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Well I just got back home from Colorado, and had a great time. I did hurt my back early Wed helping setting up the tents, so I missed the Wed cruiser battles. The Sri was all tested on Sunday, for the Wed battle, but just did not feel up to it, after the poppet servo went bad Wed morning, figured it was just better to rest up for the rest of the day.
    Well the Allies did win by around 20,000 points, 141,000 to 121,000, and it was close all week, but we ruled the waves on Friday. We decide to try a new strategy, which none of us knew about, but it worked. We surrounded the Axis, by sending all the 24 sec ships to the other side of the Axis fleet a minute before battle started, and we had them between us, right where we wanted them.
    My Iron Duke performed fairly well I thought for a new ship. Some how it won best of class 5. I think maybe since it only got sank once all week. The Axis were starting to question if it was sinkable by late Tuesday. When they finally got me, it took 98 aboves, 14 on, and 61 belows, and thats with a 3/4 inch stern freeboard. The water channeling, pump, deck seal combination is working very well.
    Bob H did some 1 gallon testing of the pumps in the boats themself's to see how well they all pumped, to start building a database, on different pumps, motors, water channeling, and voltages used. Most of the boats were in the upper 30 second range to pump out a gallon. Mine was able to do it in 22 seconds. When we tested it in just a 1 gallon bucket, with a straight hose it was in the 13 second range, but in the boat, due to the flow around the componets mounted in the boat, and the bends in the outlet hose, it did take a bit longer to pump out. My pump was actually pumping it out faster than it could flow to the bottom of the pump sump, you could hear it starting to loose suction for a split second, then it would take off again, happened like 5 or 6 times during the testing.
    I was asked by quite a few members if I was going to be selling my outlet, and that they would be interested in buying one. I even heard a few people calling it Dave's Wonder outlet, LOL.

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write-up David.
    Where are they trying to have Nats next year?
    If you only got sunk one time at Nats with a new ship then you did well indeed.
    Mikey

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Nice going Dave! Amazing the ID took that much damage and stayed afloat for so long! No doubt it is a successful ship. To quote Herr Flugal, "Sink Faster!" next time. ;)

I had to chuckle about people finally getting interested in your outlet. One might have thought they would have started asking at the end of last years NATs when I survived my 5 on Friday using your outlet.

Did the Dreadnought sidemount rule proposal make the ballot?

4. djranier

Yes the Pre-dred side mount did make it. So we will have to see what the vote is in November.

Fluegal follows his own rules, I think he sank quite a few times. The first few days I was not very aggressive, and had most of my BB's when the other Allieds where calling 5. Thur, and Friday, I went right in, shot everything off at the VDT's, and Derfs, and called 5, and got off faster. Took alot less damage that way.
    Here are a couple of pics that Ty took. As you can see in the pics, she sits low in the water, but I seldom had to use the pump unless she was hit. Great deck seal. She has a slight list at the time, due to getting run over by a NC. I don't think more than 1 inch or so of the Starboard side was out of the water when he ran me over, over a 90 deg roll, the mast was underwater, but she came right back up. The last picture I was making a left turn, to advoid the stern shot from the Kongo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mike5334

Gorgeous ship Dave!

6. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Dave's ID worked very well. It may have been a new ship, but David really has it down for building ships any more. He only gets better each time and he is proving to be a deadly captian to fight too.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Congrats on your ID's performance at NATS!Well done.The Japanese ships look fantastic too. Btw. What are the barrel canvas coverings made from on those Japanese models? I need to add same to my Bismarck and Yamato.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

9. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Glad you had such a good time! We had an Iron Duke at the IRC nats too.

Marty Hayes

10. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

The Iron duke seemed to do pretty well.(especially for a rookie ship) I think the IRCWCC allies lost the war because we were great big targets out there for the small axis fleet. Class 6 ships have a tougher time battling class 4-5 ships and we didn't have much out there like them. The lack of sea room and moss also played a factor. All that and the axis are VERY GOOD captains. Well done!

At least your Allies redeemed the allied name!:D

11. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Or would the IRCWCC Allies be called the 0 - fers. The Iron Duke was quite impressive. Very low to the water. Not a lot to shoot at. very manoverable

12. mike5334

Grrr ... ignore my post. I messed it up.

13. djranier

Thats what happened last year at the MWC nats I think, the Axis had alot of mid sized ships, and the Allieds had a ton of NC's. We pretty much just shot them to peices. This year I went Allied made a class 5, and a few others brought back their class 5 boats, and the Allieds had a over all better showing. You need a few NC's but not a fleet of them, the aboves just don't add up.

The blast bags if I remember right, they used the 2 part epoxy from the hardware store, that is like clay, comes in a tube, kneed it together with your hands, and form the shape you want it. Wait over night, and paint white.

14. crackerzach

crackerzach Member

When I was there on tuesday it was simply murder!!! you guys don't joke around! oh i'm going to build a ship... wheres the next nats going to be?

15. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

haha.
    Too funny. red rum. red rum.
    Mikey

16. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

MWC NATS 2010 location is not known yet. Could be Perry, GA, Houston, TX, Springfeild, MO or Elk River, MN. Sometime this fall we'll have a site and dates.
    Until then check out the battle page on the mwci.org site for battles around the country.

17. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob. By the way, what is the cost to join the MWC after Nats?

18. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The 1/2 year membership is $30.