MWC vs IRCWCC Cruiser rules

Discussion in 'General' started by rarena, Sep 21, 2008.

1. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I battle IRCWCC "fast gun" It seems that the MWC has a better advantage to building a cruiser than we do. What exactly is the difference? I would like to see cruisers have more of a chance in our ruleset since people like building them and we want to have more intergrated club battles.

"discussion on"

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

23 seconds instead of 24 seconds, it makes a difference. That is the main difference I know of. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other little differences in the shiplist from here and there on units or something for a few boats but across the board its that one second speed difference.

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

All the cruisers are 1 second faster? That's not that hard a rule proposal. Hmmmmmmn [:)] How does that break out on the ship list. Is there a cut off of units? Ex. Anything class 3 and under gets a second or is it specific?

Anything else?

Thanks!

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

HC are 23 second, LC are 22 second.

5. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

DD's are 21 second's in MWC also, Don't know what they get it IRCWCC though.

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Another diffrence is # of cannons for 3.5 unit ships like the Lutzow. MWC does not allow the ship to have a .5 unit pump and 3 cannons. IRC does allow .5 unit pump and 3 cannons.

Some may see it as a trade off for the speed diffrences between the two rule formats.

7. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

A few more differences:
    1) IRCWCC allows cruisers over 599ft 50% more rudder, MWC it's just any ships over 700ft get 50% more rudder.
    2) MWC pump motor can be no larger then propulsion motor(s)
    3) Class 2 and under boats, MWC allows one 1/2 unit to be split off for a pump, IRCWCC allows you to split as many 1/2 units as you can.
    4) Brooklyn,Cleveland,Mogami etc... are still 3 units, but being CL's travel at 22 seconds in MWC.

8. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Not quite right.

If a ship is dual rudder, it also gets the 50% in MWC.

The ships you listed are 23 sec ships, they are all over 9,000 tons. The rule is.

Heavy Cruisers (After 1922) 23 sec./100'

Light Cruisers (After 1922) >= 9000 tons 23 sec./100'

Light Cruisers (After 1922) < 9000 tons 22 sec./100’

9. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Yeah I should have added single rudder in there to avoid confusion. Thanks for the clarification on the speeds, I see now that the old style shiplist on the SCRAP site still have those ships at 22 seconds, but they are correct on the main site shiplist.

10. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I can just tell you as a new guy not knowing much of any thing was just a bit bewildered when I Hit the Pond at the IRCWCC NATS and was pounced on by a Yammer my first thought as you might figure was to run for my life I will leave out the first words that formed on my lips but you can fill in the blanks. Here is where the bewildered part comes in how on earth is the largest Battle ship to sail the seas in World War II going stroke for stroke with my little Battle cruiser so as I was unable to get away. For realism as well as an incentive to see more CA on the pond for us the speed thing is a definite thing to start looking at. Just the 2 cents from the most sunk captain of IRCWCC NATS 08 [;)]

Ps I will be coming back in a Battle ship [:D]

11. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Cruisers a kinda disadvantaged that way in the IRC. But the Lutzow gets triple sterns! :)

12. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I could have had triple stern but ether way any thing I could have thrown at the yammer he would have just laughed at and kept coming oh wait he was. It was kind of like a shark in the middle of a feeding frenzy and I was the chum. She didn’t carry enough of any thing to deter a Yammer so speed would have been useful to run to big sister for protection if you know what I mean. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not knocking the rules as they are just a thought to entice more CA. I think it would be fun to have more classes and a duel fold battle on the pod at once I believe would make for more tactics and less hugging and slugging. Not that hugging and slugging isn’t fun but you know what I mean.[:D]

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The system I am developing makes the cruisers very competitive. Email off line for more info.

14. the frog

the frog Member

I had Lee,s yammer chaseing me all over the pond but with an 8 second speed advantage I was never in trouble.That is why treaty guys love the speed by ship rule. I could probably shoot fast again and run a bigger pump but I could never go back to a yammer running down an light cruiser.

15. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I would have to agree by giving cruisers a speed advantage over the bigger ships they can run and gun, which increases there ability to survive. A cruiser should not be able to go toe to toe with a battleship but it should be able to anoy or even bloody a battleships nose. It also means you can use a cruiser to lure a unsuspecting battleship into the crosshairs of a rival battle ship. This means more tatics and less stern to stern fighting and ships may have more ability to manuever.

16. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

All it takes is for someone to put forward a rule change at the next rule meeting. I doubt that anyone in the IRC really cares if light cruisers go faster.

Marty

17. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Now I'm not looking to start anything here...

But has anyone thought about maybe slowing down the capital ships along the lines of the old Dan Hamilton ship list (28, 26 & 24 sec/100') and leaving the cruisers where they are? The cruisers would have a chance and the capital ships would still have an advantage with the manoverability and survivability. Still have the damage and lower the chance of rams.

Just a thought......

18. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

I must be missing something here. I thought that IRC does use the ole hamilton ship speed listing.

19. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Back in 1980 something or the early 90's ( don't remember exactly[:D]), due to some issues with certain ships speed, it was adopt to go with speed by length instead of the ship list speeds. That's why the North Carolina's, Yamato's, KGV's, Nagato's and others are going 24 seconds per 100'. All of the refit American battleships, and refit British ships and 1 Jap was boosted from 28 to 26 seconds per 100'. In that same meeting it was also discussed that the Nagato's get 6 units instead of 5.5 to match the NC & KGV. All of the construction and unit data other that that specifically mentioned are the same.

20. B24

B24 Member

Yeah, the MARYLAND use to be 28 seconds. I remember when they changed it. It really didn't matter because the MD still does 28 sec.
    Danny