MWC vs IRCWCC Cruiser rules

Discussion in 'General' started by rarena, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I've used three large capital ships (Courageous, Hood and Warspite) but have found heavy cruisers, armoured cruisers, and even smaller ships more enjoyable and user friendly.

I'm using amroured cruiser HMS Minotaur this year, am building Russian CL Krasni Krim and planning Spanish CL Navarra.

Bob

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I agree with you Bob. I don't see myself getting out of class 4 or lower. I can't imagine building anything bigger then a Lion (I want a Queen Mary), simply because I don't want to maintain the units. I definately don't want to lift them. I'm really, really pleased with my Invincible and it's performance/work ratio.

I'm also a big fan of cruisers from a history perspective, and battling them seems to be a lot of fun, even if you aren't doing the heavy lifting sinking someone. After tearing into someone, everyone on the water knows who got the best of who, regardless of who sinks or doesnt.

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I really like cruisers too, but i really do see the idea of unit 4 and up for new battlers. But yea, the sheer number of cruisers made them more likely to have a better history, making our history buffs, happy

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Actually it was more that the BBs were held back for the "decisive battle" which was never fought...at least in the Pacific. German standing orders were to not engage capital ships unless absolutely necessary.

Cruisers however were far more expendable, and tended to get thrown into the fire.

The main reason to go with a class 4 vessel or better is because they can carry sidemounts. A captain who only had a cruiser might find himself kinda bored with the battling style, where as capital ships open up more options/tactics. Under the IRCWCC's rules, presently a class 3 cruiser can't even really escape a fast BB. A class 2 ship, such as Atlanta or Nurnburg DOES have a speed advantage (IIRC), however being so small they are challenging builds for most captains.

5. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I would like to do a cruiser, but i know what people say about them. And i didnt know that about the BBs in the pacific, i thought they were considered high value, and thus were only allowed to participate in the shelling of islands.

6. Bryan

Bryan Member

You have to look at our site and see the effects of cruiser rams, the deutchland plowed into the Royal Oak and you should see the damage, the only thing that kept her afloat was the fact her captain slammed her into forward and drove her toward the beach (She started in 17 feet of water), it took her about 12 seconds to do that and in 13 seconds she was under, its under the 2008 battle season photos listed as Mother of all rams. RO is a wood frame boat with legal decks and sides, the good news is that with 2 of us captains working at it she was fixed and out for the next sortie.

Battle on dudes...

7. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

That isn’t nothing you should have seen the ram I got on the Tennessee with Carl’s roma made that look like kiddy work sorry don’t have any pics but a ram is a ram no matter the speed or ship if it hits right its just balsa

8. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Don't make me glue the tugboat tire on the front of your ship......

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

9. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

thats the only bad award I miised at NATS this year but I will say not by much [:D]

10. Bryan

Bryan Member

Hay it wasn't me I got rammed by out of control I-boat,
    (I had Hindenburg on water, look for crest at bow)

It was a junior Captain but the fact that there was a 3" square hole almost is scary enough, and the cruiser was slowing with engines in reverse when it happened. the Bismark in the same series of photos had a left right series of hits also, we thought she was ok and while the owner was helping someone else with his boat near shore she just rolled slightly and sank, I dove in and pulled her up, but you have to check even the "bumps" carefully, it was just a really bad day that day at the pond, usually we get maybe 1 or 2 a sortie (with 8+ boats on the water, and none are bad like these were. So I like the idea of Cruisers going faster as I love cruiser size, but even 24seconds can cause huge damage, so lets not use that argument, lets just say we want to encourage cooperation between groups, so is allowing them to go a little faster so bad, probably not, it depends entirely on the skipper, if you can't handle the speed stay off the throttle.