MWU:OFFENSE-101 'The Geek Breech Cannon'

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Tugboat, Jan 29, 2011.

1. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Geeks have always had temperature problems, the cure is very simple:

ICE

Just put a cube in a paper towel on the tubing and it helps in hot weather.

But in Fla. you might have to use two cubes.

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Source and part number for the silcone o-rings?
    Steve

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Source and part number for the Ice Cubes?

sorry steve thats what I thought you were going to say....

4. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

That's funny, that is what I was going to ask...

5. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Alternative cooling system: wrap your gas supply line around the silicone tube.

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I like the silicone since the diameter measures just a tad bit bigger than the buna, specs say they are the same, but they are not. They are not so temp sensitive as the buna type are. And everyone who has tried them, so far like them.

McMaster-Carr Part # 9396K73

Pack of 100 for $9.26

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I believe I will order some of those for my ships with Foster breech guns :) Thanks for the tip, Dave!

8. Tugboat

For those who doubt the power of the Dark Side and our geek-breech cannon... This past weekend, I was firing towards shore (where oddly enough, I was standing), and a round skipped and hit me in the belly! Ow! Pic below. For the record, the regulator is an old lightweight reg that currently tops out at 100-110#, cannon fired by a single MAV-2 via a 1/8" line. Yes, it seeped blood, skin was broken by the BB at 20 feet. If that's not powerful enough, how much do we need?
    And remember... Gut shots prefer Hanes.
    [​IMG]

9. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

At first I thought that was a death photo of Bin Laden. But he does not wear Hanes, I heard he wore pink panties. Sleeps with the fishes now.

10. Tugboat

Fact: SEAL Team 6 carried ball-bearing interrupter geek breech guns :) LOL

OTOH, Bin Laden had a bigger red spot on him than I did.

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Yowza! I hope I don't need full plate mail next time I visit a Fast Gun battle :blink:

12. DarrenScott

Do you have any figures for your muzzle velocity and energy?
    You'd have to be getting up into air pistol territory there.......

13. Tugboat

No, sadly I lack a chrono. I know my regulator's pressure(100-110#), that's about it. I'm going to try firing my guns with a 1/16" gas line to see if the power gets down enough but not too much...

14. DarrenScott

I'm an unashamed proponent for chrony testing, as I have stated in the past.

We, in Australia, must chrony test, for legal reasons.

Imagine if a lawyer asked you if you could prove your muzzle velocity was legal in court and you could not answer?

With small, accurate, reasonably cheap chronys now available, it is my belief that every conbat club, big and fast gun, should abandon the 19th-century style of "what will my shot punch through" testing and get themselves up to speed.

Foam testing should go the way of the dinosaurs.

End of rant.

15. Tugboat

Disclaimer: I do not tweak for ultimate power, nor care to have ultimate power from my 'guns'... I just drive a boat and shoot if my guns work at all and have a good time. I will cheerfully comply with any reasonable testing burden imposed by those whom I battle with, because I'm not in it to shred fibreglass. MAybe a little balsa on a good day. It is in our best interests ('elf'n'safety reasons aside) to keep velocities reasonable, as once we start injuring people, fewer venues will remain open to us and our hobby.

Counter-rant: I would answer to said lawyer: E'en were the projectiles superluminal as they left the muzzle, their velocity is legal in the country, state, county, and town in which it was fired, and to the best of my knowledge, the velocity remained 'legal' in the country, state, county, and town in which the projectiles landed.

To be certain, the lawyer in my state, county, and town most concerned with my cannons' shots, who is also the one I fear displeasing the most, is my wife. She was not at all pleased with the results of my distinctly non-superluminal cannon fire last weekend, and shockingly showed no mercy to me when I stated that the velocities were legal ;)

16. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Darren.

17. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

chrono speed is 240 to 260. We test regularly with chrono's when we (in fast gun) test. It is legal and below gun velocity.
    What is your point with the chrono testing and how will that change what we do? My club doesn't have any regulation on what your guns must or must not be able to shoot through, just the side of the ship is regulated.
    as far as the armor at lakeside, that is your choice. I'm sure if you were looking for a safe hobby , you wouldn't be shooting remote control live guns at each other. Pvc accumulators could blow inflicting serious damage to people too.
    Just saying...
    you all should attend a fast gun battle. It is a rush! I would love to see a big gun battle myself as I think that would be really cool to watch. We are all in this together so be safe but not afraid. You could get more hurt falling into the pond with your boat or getting a cramp while recovering it. We are all a bit dangerous. Hopefully not careless or stupid though. Always be as safe as you can be, whatever club you are in. We are all out there for fun.
    Rob A.
    IRCWCC VP

18. DarrenScott

My point with chrono testing is this: It's better than foam. A LOT better. Sopwith camel against F-22 better.

With the modern pocket-style chronographs available these day for under $100, why would you even bother with foam testing.

They give you an easy, portable, accurate way to tweak your cannon. Even pondside. How can this be a bad thing?

What I can't understand is why chrony testing isn't universal. Surely all clubs that conduct our hobby could afford the purchase of one?

Oh heck yes, I'd love to attend a fast-gun battle, but that would mean thousands of dollars in cost and about 12hrs minimum in a jetliner. Not do-able for me.

As for getting a cramp recovering my boat? I'd have to stop rowing the dinghy for a bit. Probably take off my plate armour.

(Imaginary picture of monty python-style black knight in rowboat with a leg cramp.......) It's just a flesh wound, come back and fight!

All things aside, I can't see how having a better way to test guns would change anything about what you do on the pond. It should have absolutely no effect at all.

Darren Scott
    Tech Officer
    Newcastle Battle Squadron
    Australian Battle Group.

19. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Point taken,
    It is a much more accurate reliable method for testing. Some of the clubs do use a penatration test (foam) and it would serve them.

20. Calidus

Calidus Member

Hey Tugboat, have you finished the 2nd part to this lesson?