my little 3d printer build and probably HELP thread (Hesine prusa I3 m505)

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Reckless, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

alright got it yesterday, started assembly last night... bout 5 hours into it via mostly picture instructions.

going real slow ..dry fit, look at picture.. start assemble.. monkey around .. etc

all in all it seems to be relatively painless so far.. just pretty vague instructions

I'll throw progress pictures up once I'm back home

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Pics or it didn't happen! :)

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Maybe he never made it home. Should we call the Mounties?

4. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Maybe lumberjacks and an impromptu song?
    [​IMG]

5. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Please no...

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Voted 'Best Post This Month' by this moderator :)

Anachronus likes this.
  7. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

Hahaha sorry ..started picking at it soon as i got home forgot to throw up pics. argueing with my phone trying to post them... I'll figure it out ... but I have been taking pictures of my progress.

basically around 11 hours in (honestly a good portion of that fairly distracted lol ) .. and I've just started the wiring ... still gonna have to go around it and tweak/tighten etc making sure everything is straight...

did find a problem I'm gonna have to custom make parts for... NONE of the endstop switchs contact anything before a carriage crash.

also had some bad family news last night, that I sort of knew was coming, but doesn't make it any less crappy.

anyways ... I will sort out this picture less atrocity, and we sure to watch for the screaming for help shortly

8. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

well... its together... it powers up... everything moves... hot bits get hot.... one of my fans is installed backwards (oops) ... so now get the end stop switchs so they actually do something, while I await my filament to arrive in the next couple days.

soon as I get the endstop switchs in a position to be productive i'll run it through some dry prints and see how fluidly it moves...etc, if my devices actually cooperate i'll have the pictures I mentioned above posted finally lol

oh and currently the state of the wiring is giving my twitchs.... but i wanna make sure everything is proper before I tidy/tie it up

9. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

20160128_124921.jpg
    first opening the box, on my lunch break from work so just a general go through making sure nothing was obviously broken

20160128_193926.jpg
    This was about 1.5 hours in on the first night. alot of dry fitting and trying to figure how the "instructions" actually wanted things to happen

20160128_223529.jpg

This is about 5.5 ish hours in the first night.

20160130_083100.jpg
    I lost track of how long I actually had into it, but this is second night (after work ofcourse) ..starting to put the electrical bits in place, trying to get some half ass organization and wire routing

20160201_083428.jpg And heres how it was when I went to bed last night... powers up and moves, things heat up , turn on. working on the end stops right now. ... fan on the extruder is still backwards... gotta fix that today.

Ordered 2 rolls of filament last night too ... should be here tommorow :D .. 1 roll of pla, 1 roll of abs ... "semi" local supplier just across the water from me (vancouver, ... I'm on vancouver island) .. great prices and supposed to be very high quality pla and abs

SO... my first HELP! ... my Bed wants to home in the opposite direction from my endstop LOL .. (found that out by accident hitting "home" instead of just move)

10. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

I think I've figured my own answer to my bed direction issue... and it;s giving me a big "aww i don't wanna.." moment... I think the rear plate is on backwards... putting the bed stepper the wrong direction... which is easier ... dissassembly and reassemble hoping I don't break something... or just reverse it in the firmware LOL

11. NickMyers

turn the Y stepper around
    Edit: ninja'd!

12. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

hahaha yeah i sighed... then flipped the back plate around so the stepper was facing the right way.... its running a dry print right now .. don't see any binding or skipping in movement.... dunno about extruter flow yet as well... no filament yet .... so far so good! wanna get atleast 1 proper print off this thing before i finalize the wiring placement and clean up... but the wiring is driving me nuts right now LOL I HATE rats nests

only abnormal thing currently is the little tail of the bottom belt adjustment running along the cogs of the belt in one direction... freaked me out first time I heard it

13. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

filament arrived, burnt my finger pretty good ... first print is running as I type .... easy little quick pair of boxes for calibration (one fits inside the other)

woot woot

NickMyers likes this.
  14. NickMyers

How go the first wobbly steps of a new life extruding thermoplastic?

15. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

the printer itself works pretty damn well ... the problem i'm dealing with right now is that my hot bed plate was humped ... and while I plan on shortly getting some glass build plates (uncle owns a glass shop LOL ) for now Ive done what 'straightening' I can now ofcourse it's wavy and makes proper leveling impossible ... so untill I get my plates i'm relegated to basically printing on rafts

so far I've mainly been printing improvement parts for the printer... mainly the spool holder ... getting it up above the print head, and able to feed freely ... also did a fan end that blows air all around the hot end instead of just one side. next improvement will be thumb wheels for bed level instead of wing nuts 20160209_111832[1].jpg 20160204_111519[1].jpg

haven't bothered with the roll of abs I have yet till i get the bed and everything sorted

bender there was printed before moving the spool roll so now the uneven layers is solved...

16. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

so I'm getting a weird annomaly ... no matter where I print on the bed the left front (looking at printer) corner of every print lifts ... with a brim or raft that same corner lifts.

17. NickMyers

hrm. that is a bit of an odd one. Maybe the backwash from your hotend's fan?

18. NickMyers

Things working out better now?

19. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

sorry haven't been about in a bit. it does appear it was the backwash off the fan for the hotend/feed

I ended up finally getting some glass pieces (uncles owns a glass shop which completely slipped my mind). and finally playing with ABS (which finally allowed me to diagnose exactly the fan backwash, and do a fairly simple wash redirect away from the piece)

sorry don't have pics right now, but I did end up printing half a Tug hull in abs and while ultimately the print was a failure (my fault in settings) the quality of the print was awesome and I hope to have a redesigned hull for testing on the go come my next run of days off.

I've also been down with this 'death cold' that's been making its way around the Island knocked me out for nearly 4 days ...still recovering

once I get this little RC tugboat hull worked out, I'm going to start on a larger combat hull design

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    NickMyers likes this.
  20. NickMyers

Ugh. I had that about 2 months back. Misery