My new pride and joy.

Discussion in 'General' started by rcaircraftnut, Apr 2, 2016.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Sounds good except I can't order anything from outside the USA. Bank card restrictions that are set by the issuer and can't be changed. Even through PayPal it kicks it back. Heard way too many bad stories about Ali Express and wish ECT to be very trusting either lol. Have to see if hobby kink has any in the US warehouse.

2. rcaircraftnut

Well the trip to OKC seems to have bourn fruit. We shall see in about a month or so. At minimum it gained me one solid lead on a retailer I can work with on this whole endeavour I've working on for the last 3 months. Almost all lined out and when it is I will be able to be more specific about what I'm doing. Lol. Long day today 8 hrs round trip plus several meetings and the driving around the city for those. Then the equipment I needed to pick up wasn't available till 5pm and I never made it to meeting the guy for the co2 tank so I will have to try again later on that. I did however get to hobby lobby and got the plywood I needed to get the Gneisenau done as well as get back to my 1/96th Prinze Eugen build. Things are finally looking up. Last week I would have just shrugged and said, soon but I don't know when. Now I can put an actual timeline on it.

As far as the tank size for Scharnhorst goes I was using the 5oz without issues on the current gun system. And I already ordered it lol. If it turns out to be to small I can always use it in another ship. Hope to get some work done on them tomorrow. After yard work that is. Oye.

3. rcaircraftnut

Looks like all model shipyard labor is being suspended during daylight hours for the next few days. Pop is in route to the lumber yard for supplies to finally complete one of our full scale projects. Our late 80s suntracker pontoon boat. Did new decks and transom last year then ran short on money and it got drydocked all winter.

4. rcaircraftnut

Well since the old man is taking too long, I went ahead and shot the primer on the Scharnhorst. Will attempt to get the Bondo work done shortly so I can start reassembly this evening hopefully.

5. rcaircraftnut

Regulator and valves for my guns showed up today. Yay.

Beaver likes this.
  6. rcaircraftnut

Clearing the mess off the ways so I can prep some sheeting. Supposed to rain the next few days so may be able to get some progress on these.

7. rcaircraftnut

Got the gearbox cleaned lubed and reassembled. Cleaned the stuffing tube with carb cleaner, repacked it full of grease and refitted it all into the hull.
    This should cure the screaming that shaft has always had since I got the ship. Refit the rudders also. Hope to be done with the drive system and electronics this evening. Then I need to clean and lube all the kips as well as a full disassembly and cleaning on the guns.
    15901906572981705568459991669912.jpg
    15901906950709012801763933734228.jpg
    I want to get all the stuffing done before I sheet it as it makes it easier having access through the windows.

8. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

That’s a beefy stringer you got there, what ruleset?

9. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

She's naked...
    Niki

10. rcaircraftnut

Supposed to be fastgun. I didn't build it. Was told it was all good.

11. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Stringers are limited to 1/8” for IRC rules, can’t speak to any other rule sets

12. rcaircraftnut

Ok. Not hard to fix.

13. rcaircraftnut

Just measured it and it's definitely twice that thickness. Lol. Looks like I have some Dremel work to do tomorrow.

Kevin P. likes this.
  14. rcaircraftnut

Glad you pointed that out. I wouldn't have caught it and I'm sure it would have eventually drawn someone's ire.

15. rcaircraftnut

Dang it. I was looking forward to stuffing tonight. But now I'm de stuffing again lol. Oh well at least it was noticed before I sheeted it. Haha.

16. rcaircraftnut

Working on this at the moment. 15902725868453787298980931226511.jpg Going ultra utilitarian for general fun and fishing. Mostly fishing. Lol.

Beaver likes this.
  17. rcaircraftnut

Ran outta daylight. Will try to get some Dremel work done tomorrow between rainstorms lol.

18. rcaircraftnut

Well I just looked at what the last bits and pieces I need will cost from B.C. another $72 amazing how fast the little things add up. This includes the two check valves I am short as well as three separate 2 ci accumulator tanks for the trip stern setup to replace the single .5 ci tank and manifold setup it came with. I may be cheap but I need it to work lol.
    Will call Monday morning and see if I can get them to add it to my current order if it hasn't been shipped already. If not I get to pay more shipping lol. This would give me everything to complete the gun systems on both ships. Pretty sure I have everything else now except more batteries and a filling station.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    GregMcFadden likes this.
  19. rcaircraftnut

Decided to wait a while on the b.c. order. Need to get fiberglass stuff for the transom on my bass boat so I can finish that part of the build and get the Mercury 115 mounted and out of my way. Will be a little while before I really need the stuff anyway.

20. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

What shaft/bearing material are you using? If you're using brass on brass, that's a no-no, you'll get binding and extra friction.

Stainless with either brass or bronze bearings (even k&s brass) works great - the two metals polish each other.

You don't need check valves with big enough expansion tanks.

Expansion tanks can be made with cheap copper pipe fittings and clippard 1/8" hose barbs, and other cheap stuff. You don't have to buy the expensive pre-made stuff.

Good luck!