My new pride and joy.

Discussion in 'General' started by rcaircraftnut, Apr 2, 2016.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Not going to have time today to get it to the water. Grrrr.

2. Mad_Modeller

Mad_Modeller Active Member

Have question are you using the funnel as a float or the aircraft hanger

3. rcaircraftnut

That's the last thing I need to do is make a float to go inside the funnel.

4. Mad_Modeller

Mad_Modeller Active Member

Will it attach to the deck or thru to the bottom of the hull so you can pull it up or just to mark where it went down.

5. rcaircraftnut

Probably just be a marker on this one for now. To be honest I forgot about it. Lol

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Smokestack floats are a tricky thing to do right. Done poorly, they can have a terrible failure rate. Done right, they work very well. If you just stick a fishing bobber on a string and tuck it into the smokestack, it will fail more often than not. The bobber tends to get trapped in the smokestack by in-rushing water while the ship is sinking, and if the ship hits bottom at any sort of angle, the bobber will remain stuck on the bottom. If you make the whole smokestack into the float, it is exposed to enemy fire and sometimes deploys prior to sinking, resulting in tangled props and other foul-ups. The trick is to have a large hole through the smokestack into the main hull. When the ship sinks, the out-rushing air forces the bobber out of the stack before the ship is fully submerged, giving excellent odds of a successful deployment.

wdodge0912 and rcaircraftnut like this.
  7. rcaircraftnut

Finally got enough water in the pool today with the help of a morning rainstorm, to cover the draft and get a float test at weight for waterline marking ECT. Had one small leak at one of the seams in the sheeting to fix. All systems function and other than some small details it's basically battle ready again. Pics when I get done with paint and and add some way of retaining the turrets in the barbets in a turn ECT.

8. rcaircraftnut

Starboard side done. Got some bleed through on my old tape but I can live with it till it gets shot up and redone again. Lol.
    159151271310763470632578578138.jpg

9. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Are you going to have the bow sidemounts mounted like that facing back towards the stern? I would not recommend that.

Kevin P. likes this.
  10. rcaircraftnut

You will find I do a lot of things that are not recommended. The Bruno turret is a rotate. Heck I was told to NOT do sidemount at all. Almost like there is no other way to set up this boat than a bow cannon and trip sterns. I had then both facing forward before. I moved them because smaller ships can just sit there alongside with impunity and rip holes in me. This has been my experience in all but one battle with this ship. Now they can run but they can't get in a giant unprotected Lee area alongside me. If it don't work I will try something else.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  11. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

Rygasewicz would be proud of your work. Nice job.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  12. rcaircraftnut

T
    Thanks man. Still need to figure out a marker float that I'm happy with. Also still have some details I want to add if I can ever get my 3d printer working again. Currently it has software issues and is down until that gets sorted out.

13. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

With the gun pointed back like that you have to expose even more of the front of your ship to get the gun on target. Rotate is fine but trying to use the bow sidemounts to shoot backwards is a good way to get your bow torn up by stern sidemounts.
    https://www.scrapcombatships.com/commodore/tactics/tactics.html
    Good stuff on gun placement and tactics. You do you, its your boat, but Scharny already has some weaknesses that could be exaggerated by gun placement choices.

jadfer likes this.
  14. rcaircraftnut

Now that's helpful info. Thanks. Like I said I like to try things.

15. rcaircraftnut

My thoughts were more as a defensive use than offensive.

16. rcaircraftnut

Been busy working on pops pontoon boat all weekend. Got the helm and controls all refurbished and installed in the console as well as the console installed on the boat and the steering cable hooked up. Got most of the holes drilled to bolt all the deck down fully. And all the major paint work done. Back at it today. Lol.