My new pride and joy.

Discussion in 'General' started by rcaircraftnut, Apr 2, 2016.

1. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

That's the answer I get from the High Schoolers o_O
    What was your last battle :confused:

2. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Last one was up in Ohio almost two years ago I think. Been a while. But if I can something going financially soon, I am hopeful that I can get back to regular battle status.

3. rcaircraftnut

That is if the world ever gets back to some semblance of normal. I was rite in the middle of changing jobs when all this happened. So as I technically quit I can't get unemployment, and the job I was going to didn't work out either. So here I sit stuck waiting untill things improve across the board enough for the job market to allow me to flourish again. It will happen I just don't know when.

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Damn, that sucks. :(

5. rcaircraftnut

That's life brother. I just keep keepin on. I just hope this gets better soon and that what I truly believe and fear doesn't come to pass.

6. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you -- and all of us :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
    We have a battle on May 9 - FINGERS CROSSED :confused::confused:

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  7. rcaircraftnut

Day before I get a year closer to the expiration date. Hope I can make it. Not likely though. Lol.

8. rcaircraftnut

Looking at the plans and the hull I have for a second DKM Scharnhorst, I am thinking I will do a different setup this time. Going to power the outer shafts on this one. See if I can make scale location work on the props. Will be making my own struts and bearings/stuffing tubes from stock on hand.

Julian Barbera likes this.
  9. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Well best of luck to you!!! Been spending the last 20 years looking for that next job that would not only boost my pay but offer some longevity. Nothing like getting situated in your desk and finding all the men's rooms in the building only to be told that you're going to be let go soon. Go all of what I was looking for in my present job. Very blessed!

Once things blow over you should find a better job than what you were going too. You will come out on top.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. rcaircraftnut

Not worried about that aspect. The idea that we may never get back to that aspect of our lives as we knew it scares me death though.

11. rcaircraftnut

All bad thoughts aside, let's get back to ships.
    I have a pair of older design HPI branded 27 turn brushed motors that were in my rock crawler when I bought it. Not a low enough turn count for that application. I want to try them in the Gneisenau though as I already have them, they are the same, and I have 4 speed controllers to choose from for them. Not sure but I think they would be better geared. So I am looking to try the printed gearbox thing out. Looks like I need to get my software issue sorted on the printer soon. Lol. Charging some batteries for it so I can test the motors and speed controllers as I can't remember what was good/bad in my stash. Need to figure out if one speed control will be sufficient or if I need to slave one.
    The other thing I need help with from those who are more scholarly than I is that I need to know what differences there are between the two Scharnhorst class battle cruisers besides the aft mast location. As I want to make the needed changes to one of them. Thanks in advance guys.

12. rcaircraftnut

Took a long time but I did a nice slow charge on the 6V SLA cells and even after an extended period of discharge they seem to have come up just fine. So this evening I plan to gather and test all the needed electronics. Still need to come up with a pump motor for it. May try one of my brushless setups. Also since I need an entire set of cannon's for the second one, I think I am going to try my hand at some of Mark's Bic cannon's. If I can get the printer going again. Lol

13. rcaircraftnut

Stern area all cleaned up. Going to leave the center shaft as it's still serviceable and it's already in the scale location. Now I just need to fill these holes as they are not in the correct location. Then I can start making the shaft and struts.
    15882297272543778911708454486013.jpg
    Thinking about powering all three shafts. Just for grins.

14. rcaircraftnut

Decided to go ahead and start fitting the stuffing tubes. This is just a dry fitting but I'm pretty satisfied with it.
    15882315829325584759066577786685.jpg
    Need to build the struts now.
    15882316458716231550634905471095.jpg
    15882316962087873764184469116051.jpg
    Sure hope this works like I'm planning it. So far so good. Been many years since I've done any scratch builds with brass.

15. rcaircraftnut

Thinking of shortening the shafts as much as possible to allow just enough space to fit the gearboxes. Another reason for possibly not powering the center shaft. Gets cramped aft fast with dual Stern's. And I'm thinking of going to triple Stern's with a rotate in the bow.

16. rcaircraftnut

All required parts have been fabricated. Now I need to solder them together. Note that this is the same technique I plan to use to build these for the P.E. when I get these two done.
    15882327365215351105947882343426.jpg
    Need to go find my hobby hands setup now. Lol

17. rcaircraftnut

Looking at the plans the shafts were in the scale location however I need to be able to fit props that are a bit bigger than scale so I won't need 6000 kv motors on 24v to make speed lol.

18. rcaircraftnut

Rouge building tip. I do not use a drill bit to make a round hole then Bondo up when a simple slot is needed. I also don't use a cutting wheel ECT. When making a small slot in the hull for flat stock to pass through, I grab my torch and a dull number 11 blade. Use a metal blade holder lol. I get the blade as hot as I can then just plunge it in. May take several heatings and cuts but it makes a nice exact slot with no filler required.
    15882335370417153527841498411586.jpg Obviously be careful and if you have a sensitive nose do it outside.

19. rcaircraftnut

I don't build often, but when I do.......... Hahahahaha.

20. rcaircraftnut

15882341013037976289081465433041.jpg Pretty happy so far. This should be an awesome performing ship when it's all done. Thanks again for the hull Batt. If you ever get to a battle where I have her out you are welcome to get her sunk. Lol.