My new pride and joy.

Discussion in 'General' started by rcaircraftnut, Apr 2, 2016.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Honestly. I'm pretty dang happy with how this came out. All ready for solder.
    15882351437244535420207772632201.jpg
    Stern on.
    15882351830976718403304754819588.jpg

2. rcaircraftnut

Unfortunately I have no Stern on view showing rudders on my plans. I am assuming these were, like the shafts done to scale. I will most likely be building new rudders for this but not sure yet if I want to move them and make them parallel. Thoughts?

3. rcaircraftnut

Im not refering to the rudders themselves, but rather their placement. These are just a set I had lying about.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Those rudders look about right. Slightly angled out, not too far forward. I am very interested in how the ship handles with powered outer shafts vice center shaft. I love the Scharnhorst (she's been my first ship in every format so far) but I have yet to see how a two-shaft Scharnhorst handles in Fast Gun. The ability to back up straight seems nice.
    Scharnhorst Rudder 1.jpg Scharnhorst Rudder 2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  5. rcaircraftnut

That's what I was thinking. Trying to improve steering when backing. Sounds good to me. When they are both done I will do some side by side testing.

6. rcaircraftnut

Got the struts soldered but I will be waiting till tomorrow to set them and the shafts. Will glass the holes from the inside then use Bondo to fill the holes and sand back flush. Will also use Bondo to make fillits around the shafts.

7. rcaircraftnut

Stuffing tubes tacked into final position with ca. Let's mix up some Bondo and fiberglass.
    15883643756078152915049712459576.jpg

8. rcaircraftnut

Glass Matt is going to be sufficient here. You want to be able to replace these someday rite? Lol.
    15883649079555678945646931673044.jpg
    Finally got a nice day here. Nothing like listening to music while building another pond dwelling monster.

wfirebaugh and Beaver like this.
  9. rcaircraftnut

Ok. Attempting to lay out and envision where everything goes before pouring the interior full for water channel. I am unsure if I really need to buy some different batteries. What I have on hand is a pair of 4.5ah 6v SLA batteries I was planning to wire in parallel. But I'm just not sure if they can handle 2 27turn 550 size motors plus a pump and the radio. I can use a stand alone receiver pack if needed. This is just to get it on the water for maneuvering trials. Plan to swap them out for a set of prismatic cells before it sees battle, unless they are sufficient. My question is how many amps can I safely draw from these cells? 10-20 min run time is sufficient. Just trying to go play with these with my brother as we are stuck and bored lol.

10. rcaircraftnut

Started going through the process of disassembly and cleaning of the entire gun system. It's been at least 2 yrs since it's been on the water and at that time I had let it get behind on maintenance and was beginning to have issues with intermittent firing and jam's. So far the solenoids just appear to need a good cleaning and new seals/pistons. Never liked the way I mounted these so going to use the printed mounts in the resource section to make it mo better. Also will separate the accumulators on just enough hose to mount them out of the way of the guns. This is why it has always been interesting to get the decks back on. Lol. This will also make it easier to put a rotate up in the Bruno turret. 15884075388828869243016784628207.jpg Yup, got a very fluffy shed monster constantly leaving fur in my bed. Lol.
    15884076228307178080553538243072.jpg

11. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I would look for the spec sheet on that specific batteries and check the discharge amp rating. The 1c rate would only give you 9 amps, which will be enough for bench testing. I would expect those motors to draw near 30A each full load, so the boat will probably move on the water, and maybe support a low throttle endpoint. I wouldn’t try a pump test haha. I guess try it out and go from there

12. rcaircraftnut

That's about what I figured. Ok batteries needed. Lol.

13. rcaircraftnut

Looks like I need to make an order to BC. Will be a few things that I need to proceed much further than sheeting and superstructure. Plan to set this one up using a mix of old tech with a splash of new. Going with poppits for simplicity and cost. Since I will have to maintain this boat for my brother to use as he has no idea how yet, I want it simple. Lol.

14. rcaircraftnut

Looks like I am in the market to do some trading. If anyone has either a pair of prismatic cells or a big 12v SLA they can spare. Also looking for another 5-9 oz bottle.
    Things I have to trade.
    A pair of Indiana style cannons.
    They are 3/16 twin twins with slaved rotation. They need new magazine tops and I'm missing some fittings. The idea here is to get these two ships going and combat ready so when jobs come available locally and I have the money I will be ready to go. Vice waiting on a build to be done when all my time gets spent working lol. Can't seem to have both. It's EITHER time, OR money. Meh.... Oh well. Also need another regulator and two more cannon. As well as all the poppits. But I think I can buy enough stuff locally at a low enough cost to build the cannons.

15. rcaircraftnut

Also have some airplane stuff if anyone is interested pm me.

16. rcaircraftnut

Got a bit done a side project that has been bugging me all winter waiting for fiberglassing weather. A Dumas Big Swamp Biggie. Framed it up and glassed the bottom last year. Glassed the top this evening. Hope to sand and Bondo it and the two Scharnhorst class bb's tomorrow so I can paint and sheet them.

17. rcaircraftnut

I tend to save up as many glass and Bondo type projects as I can and do them all together so I only have to smell it and or deal with the dust for that day instead of messing around with it several times in a month or two. Lol.

18. rcaircraftnut

Dang sander broke today. Need a new pad for it. Lol. Oh well. Lots of hand sanding will get it done. Lol.

19. rcaircraftnut

I forgot about this thread so will be posting all further posts related to this ship here. Refit was started in another unrelated thread. Wonder if they can someday be sorted out. Not that it really matters.

20. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

'Report' the posts you want moved here and we can sort it out.

rcaircraftnut likes this.