My Other RC Insanity

Discussion in 'Bluegrass Battle Group' started by McSpuds, Sep 27, 2013.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I decided to have a go at a scratch built Tiger I in 1/6th scale. This vehicle will be used in RC Tank Combat with paintball guns so exact detail is not a mandatory issue although I will put some detail on her as I go. Things like the suspension will have to be built to withstand the hobby so some adjustments will need to be made.

I have come up with three sources I am going to use.

I have found a site where a Tiger was done using enlargements of a paper card tiger.

www.john-tom.com/RCtank/RCTank.html

I also have a nice set of drawings I found on a post in RC Tank Warfare. They are on a Russian site but the drawings are very large and very nice. I have several other vehicles from that site as well.

These plans started at a large scale, not sure exact scale but I know the width of the Tiger was 9 inches on paper so I would say close to 1/12th scale. I then took these large prints in Photoshop and enlarged them to 1/6th scale on paper and had them printed at Kinkos.

Early Model
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Early Model
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be taking these and converting them to a set of templates for cut outs so we can produce any later on by using the old templates.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Neat! How does RC tank combat work? I've heard of it, but I've never seen it. :)

Beaver

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

i wish to see more of this, please continue

4. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

They use paintball guns mounted in the turrets.... Not much progress has been made on the Tiger I because of boat stuff... but some day I will get back to it...

5. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

6. Beaver

Those are pretty neat! :)

Beaver

7. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Ya, but There cool, but I stay with the Boats :)

8. Swiss Cheeze

Swiss Cheeze Member

lol, that probably how I got linked up with this site originally now. Mike's name and the site definitely are familiar. Would be fun to get into but I can't spread myself to thin. I am already a mess.

9. mike5334

I'd be more involved with the tanks but there is darn few of us here in the South with them. Yet there seems to be some potential in getting a small group going and starting up a battle here and there. Otherwise, it is a 16 hour drive for me to attend the northern tank battles.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Impressive. I use the 1/16th scale RC tanks for combat. I have no room for Tanks this size unfortunatly. Lucky for my wife.

11. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

I use to be a gunner on an Abrams, would like to build one and make it look like mine (not blown up ofcoarse[​IMG]) F-22 "For the Ladies"
    [​IMG]

12. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

looks like you guys drove it like you stole it

13. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

LOL, we always did, That IED set off a 36 hour battle in a little town in the Diyala river valley, many a Iraqi met "allah" that day.

14. mike5334

While on an Iraq tour in 2007, we saw a handful of battle dmaged M1s come through our Bagdad shipping yard. The worse damage was a few broken off suspension arms. The hull was intact on every single one. The tank is incredibly robust. Not to mention fun to drive. Heh.

15. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Yea, this hobby fits me well.... I'm a retired M1A1 Master Gunner.

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I work with a retired M1 Master Gunner (Robert Baum, if you know him lol). He's more into hunting than battling boats but one day he may see the light.

I need to finish Malaya and see what comes next. I still have my collection of M113 parts to assemble on the hull. The Ozzies actually stuck a CVT Scorpion turret on them with the 76mm gun. I figured that I could play light tank, or remove the top with the turret and stick on an ACAV top, and call it a transport.

17. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Not familiar with the name... Mention to him I graduated Mike Golf school back in 92.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I purchased a Hobby Engine 1/16 Abrams tank and I had a lot of fun with it. I mounted my Go Pro on it several times and it's on my channel. I took it out in the middle of a Blizzard one time and it was out there for an hour. It handled great. My buddy on Youtube has a video of it going through the snow in his backyard. I am waiting for Henglong or Mato Toys to come out with thier version which will have the option to install metal tracks I hope. They have the Leopard there now from Henglong.

19. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

We thought originally to use 1/16th or 1/24th scale, and use our bb system for ships.. The plan was to make a "cutoff" panel switch behind the pen areas in the turrets.... that way once a penetration is made on the turret, the bb hits the switch turning off the tank power. Only real issue was safety and the pen areas on snaller tanks would be a pain.. So we just stuck with 1/6th scale and paintballs.

20. Beaver

My other RC insanity...

[​IMG]

QF 25 Pounder
    http://www.rctankcombat.com/field-artillery/FA008/