*My* Renown Build

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by slow_and_ugly, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi,
    A short update. I was able to get the plaster off the mold -- but it made some marks. It also revealed a few more voids along the bulge stringer and more than a few other imperfections. Definitely not an award winner(but she's mine...).

I am waxing the mold now. The waxing is being done with the mold in two pieces as the area in bow would be too narrow to wax properly.
    I am at coat 3 now -- I plan 8 coats.
    Once waxing is done I will gel-coat the bow area and bulge stringer and perhaps a single layer of matt on those areas too. Then I will assemble the mold and gel-coat the center line. Then I can lay in the FG. I am planning to follow Bob's suggestion and pour a mix of resin and chopped matt into the bow.

I hope this works -- it's been a lot of work.

2. slow_and_ugly

Hi,
    I popped the first hull out of the mold this afternoon. I still need to clean it up, and I probably should have waited before posting the pictures.

It's not pretty, but it is serviceable. Only a one small void on the outside, although the FG has air bubbles in it. I also missed a couple of spots with the gelcoat. Grey on Grey is hard to deal with. I still have a lot to learn about laying in FG, but the next hull should be better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Awesome Rob, it looks great. What ship is this?

4. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Looks good Rob, I think your next one will be good.

5. slow_and_ugly

HMS Renown -- WWII

6. BoomerBoy17

the WW2 Renown? really? i would love to buy one of those. are you selling? how much, plans?

7. slow_and_ugly

Hi,
    I am not planning to sell. The quality simply isn't there. I'll need a lot more practice before I can make anything I would be happy enough with to sell.

8. BoomerBoy17

oh, ok. do you know anyone who is making/selling the Renown hull?(please answer in my HMS Renown topic in the Ship Comparison section if you can)

9. slow_and_ugly

Hi Chris,
    it should be better - I know there are a couple of things I will do differently -- and I will need a new roller to squeeze the air out of the cloth.
    It won't be until next week though, I need more resin and cloth.

10. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

Great job Rob. Looks alright to me.

11. Chris Easterbrook

Just keep your chin up Rob you will get it there, it takes time.

12. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Looks great, my little tanker did not look as nice as yours, but after a little cleanup and paint you will find she will look fine anyways.

13. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Rob,
    The next Renown hull will be better - it takes practice to lay up hulls. It's a nice looking hull. Re the gelcoat I've been applying two coats to my molds to make sure it's thick enough. I apply the second coat after 24hrs, then glass after another 24.

Bob

14. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Boomer-

You really really don't want a Renown as your first ship. I ran the Courageous for a year in the IRCWCC, which is very similar in size and performance, and I've got a pretty good idea as to how effective it would be...meaning not at all. You'd simply absorb huge amounts of damage and drag your team down in points, even if you manage to not get sunk.

15. BoomerBoy17

Yea, i got that idea now, thanks to the people who replied in my topic, including you. So im still looking at the sms VDT and th rm andrea doria

16. Chris Easterbrook

Hey Bommer just because somebody tells you that a ship will not preform well don't let that deter you from building one if you really like it. Part of what drew me to this hobby is to build ships that nobody else likes, yes you might sink but if you have fun with your ship that is what matters in the long run. Alot of the guys up here are building ships such as Renoun because nobdy else want to and it makes it unique. I for one have a King George the Fifth and a Vanguard both of which are not common models because they are not effective combat models but I do not care as I like the look of these ships. What you want to do should be the final deciding factor.

17. BoomerBoy17

Thanks Chris. And i am just looking at the options, and for my first ship, an easy build id the goal, thats why the Andrea Doria is a front-runner

18. Chris Easterbrook

That is a great choice, are you thinking of the battlers connection kit? It looks great.

19. BoomerBoy17

yea, iam, but im waiting for xmas time, so that i can buy it

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Andrea Doria is a great choice. Looking at it for Combat X if you go with the rebuilt version it would be a 5.5 unit.Your 1 1/2 unit can be used as a 50 unit cannon and a 25 mag spurt torp cannon or a half unit pump.

Nice ship too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.