NABS Meeting?

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by Bob Pottle, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for when/where to meet? I'm finished being on call next Friday and will be available most evenings and weekends through mid-Nov.

Bob

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I will check my schedule to see when I am available.

3. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Just a thought ( oh ya, still here ) I can offer a meeting place at the office in Burnside if that works for anyone. Evenings and weekends would be fine and we have the shop and board room for all. Just give a time when everyone is around and the place is there.

4. Bob Pottle

Hi John,
    That works for me. After I finish call this Friday I'm available most evenings and weekends for the next 4 weeks.
    Bob

5. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

If we get a day that is good for everyone then just let me know and I'll put the coffee on.
    Its easy to find 55 Akerly in burnside unit 8

6. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Well this week I am off at 4:30 with the evenings and weekend free. next week I am working 10 to 6:30 off saturday. I am working sunday the 27th 10 to 6:30 and the rest of the week 1:30 to 10. Off wednesday and thursday.

7. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

so what if we say Wed. the 23rd of Oct. at 7 - 7:30 in burnside. does this work for those who would like to meet ?

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

that works for me.

9. Bob Pottle

That works for me. 7:30 gives me enough time to go home and walk the dogs and get back to Burnside.
    Bob

10. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

well it looks like the meeting is on. easy to find.
    corner of Joe Zatman and akerly
    across from east penn battery and cleve's
    55Akerly blvd ( doodads sign on the end of the bulding )
    unit 8
    Has Continental above the door capital paper on the door
    7:30 pm Wed Oct.23rd

11. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

so who's in on the meeting? just so we have an idea

12. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am in. I will be there Wednesday. 7:30

13. Bob Pottle

I'll be there at 7:30.

14. Bob Pottle

John, Paul and I met at John's workplace this evening to discuss reactivating NABS and catch up on what we've been up to. Paul is the only one of us active in the hobby recently, having attended NATS in NY and RI. Over coffee and snacks provided by John we discussed current projects, tallied up completed or nearly battle-ready ship models and discussed who else might become members.
    Between Paul and me we have 5 operable models of WWI ships from Classes 1 to 4. John is working on Bismarck and expects to finish it over the winter. I have a few projects that are on hold due to lack of building materials. Once a current hull project for Strike Models is off my workbench, hopefully by early Dec., Hood will take it's place for rearmament and fitting of a 50% larger rudder (if possible).
    We decided to stick with IRCWCC rules with the exception that hypothetical ships will be allowed. That means light carrier IJN Ibuki can be used as a convoy ship or Class 1 combatant and we might eventually see a Montana or a British G3 battlecruiser.
    Local sources of surplus electric motors, model prop shafts, nitrate model dope and silkspan have dried up. From this forum we know where to order silkspan or similar materials in the US but there appears to be no source in eastern Canada. Even if we can obtain silkspan there is no known source of nitrate model dope or dope thinner to apply it to hulls. John will look into potential US sources via American friends. Paul will be in New England soon and will check out hobby shops there. I'll contact my uncle in Ontario to see if hobby stores in Toronto still sell it. If unsuccessful we may have to try thinned lacquer or shellac.
    We know where some of the NABS equipment is, including the small CO2 tank, but lack the CO2 fill station and may have to buy one. Steve Hill has a couple of CO2 tanks and a fill station of his own. So far attempts to contact Steve have been unsuccessful. He has a Canadian CL model that I rebuilt for him in 2009 that only requires speed testing. We haven't heard from Jaimie lately re his HMS Roberts project but are all available to help him build the model. Jason has several RC combat models, at least one of which was close to completion a few years back: a US heavy cruiser, an Iowa and a WWI German battlecruiser. I think all three had been on the water in the Annapolis Valley.
    NABS might have 4-6 active members by spring; we don't need a large club to have fun and prefer to keep things very laid back. We'd all like to attend IRCWCC NATS but for me it probably won't be possible until 2015.
    John will be able to host a fiberglassing session in a few weeks, which will allow me to glass the fiberglass decks to the Rodney and Vanguard hulls, and there will be more build sessions over the winter.
    It was great to see John and Paul; the meeting went well and we're looking forward to reviving NABS and having fun with the hobby again.

15. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Nitrate Dope: http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/search/search.php?s=nitrate+dope&x=0&y=0

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I had the same issue. I ordered the large cans of dope from Great Hobbies. Don't know if they still carry it. I ordered from Battler's as well.
    Good to hear you guys are getting it together again. Be good to come down and battle someday with you guys.

17. Bob Pottle

Thanks, they have nitrate dope and thinner in stock, in quart and gallon containers!

18. Bob Pottle

19. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Not a problem, it might be worth while calling some of the AMO's (Aircraft Maintenance Organizations) at your local general aviation airport to see if you can get it locally.

20. Bob Pottle

Good idea. The shipping of several quarts from Ontario won't be cheap! Great Hobbies in PEI no longer lists dope or thinner on their website. I'll be ordering silkspan and the other materials asap so I can finish sheeting IJN Ibuki. We decided Ibuki can be used in the NABS fleet despite never having been commissioned, and it will likely be as a convoy ship - a big change from a 3.0 unit Washington Treaty combatant as originally planned. It can be armed later if we decide to have some Treaty battles. Between Jason and me there are a few models that can easily be switched between IRCWCC and Treaty combat specs.
    I forgot to mention that Paul was able to buy the Espana I built in 1998. It needs to be rearmed but that shouldn't take long. Paul also has an Espana hull so eventually we should have two of them in the fleet.