Nagato-class battleship Vs. Tosa-class battleship

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by wfirebaugh, Sep 20, 2020.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

Nagato-class battleship Vs. Tosa-class battleship would there be any real advantage in a Tosa class over a Nagato class? Only ships that wear launched and completed between 1905 to 1946. the Tosa hull was finished and launched, but was not loaded out with weapons ect. to the full completion. unlike its sister Kaga being converted to a carrier like the Lexington by the rules of the Washington Naval Treaty at the time of there completion.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Tosa in treaty is slightly faster and gets a half unit over Nagato in treaty. It doesn’t get anymore side mounts and is longer so you trade turning for speed and gain some in internal volume as well as a half unit.

3. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

Would you consider the Tosa a relevante ship or as a dead-end and not worthy of a build compared to a Nagato or a Yamato being between the two Battleships?

4. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Personally I think it depends on your ruleset. I think Nagato is better as a “paper lion” if you were going to build a hypothetical then an Amagi or Kii would be cool. Like a Hood with better rudder arrangement, shorter length and a fifth turret. In treaty I had a Nagato but sold it out of state and used the guts for a Tosa. For me in treaty I liked Tosa better. Seemed to roll less, better gun options and was quicker. If it’s the same speed in any rule set then the shorter boat going the same speed with the same rudder set up is usually the better boat.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  5. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

I think Amagi also got torpedos, not sure about Kii though.
    Doesn’t really matter for some other formats, but I thought I would put it out there.

Edit: Kii was also planned with torpedoes.
    I'm not sure if the IJN actually would have put them on, as no other IJN battleship/battlecruiser designs had torpedoes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    wfirebaugh likes this.