Nagato internal combat system

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by CURT, Jan 11, 2014.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hey guys one of the fellows here has his Nagato internals laid out. He's going to be using as a power supply 3- 6v 12amp SLA all connnected for 6v 36 amps. The drive motors are johnson 550s installed for direct drive. A Viper Marine 40amp ESC will be used and he has installed 2 pumps with stinger motors. He doesn't want the esc to control the pumps. I don't know what draw the stinger motors have under load and I don't know how fast they will draw power from the batteries at what point will the ESC stop working. How does he connect his battery supply system so that the ESC doesn't control the pumps, but the pumps themselves can still draw all the available power from the batteries.
    Any schematic or drawing or any kind of help would be great. :blink:

2. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi Curt, I answered you pm.
    Stingers will drain the batteries faster, he should have a stand alone battery for the pumps so there is no adverse effects on the propulsion caused by the pumps and vice versa.

J

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Stingers draw about ~20A on a 6 V system, running full tilt two of them can drain a 6v 36Ah pack in under an hour. (That doesn't even include other motors/systems or the less than stellar discharge characteristics of SLAs.)

Just put each pump on its own parallel circuit and the ESC/drive motor on a third parallel circuit, that will do what you're asking for.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I would REALLY not run two Stinger-equipped pumps. It's not a good idea, and even if he stays afloat, he's going to resheet every night at a battle.

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Odds are the SLA batteries wont provide the amount of current you need to run two stinger pumps. When I ran 2 SLA in parallel they couldn't provide enough current to run a single Titan 12T pump AND drive motors, solenoids, etc.. However 36AH is enough to run two stingers for a battle depending on how much time you spend driving around with a full pump stream.

I run two titan 12T pumps and have not run out of power yet (40ah batteries). If you start pumping hard, call 5 and get off the water.

If I ran two stinger pumps with my ship then I could probably run twice as long.

I wouldn't run two battery systems.. the drive motors don't use that much power.. you will have AmpHours that are locked away for the drive motor and never used .. and the batteries for the pump will most likely end up too small. Its not worth it. I have run one system the entire time I had the boat and have never had a failure related to having only 1 system.. I have had other issues.. but have worked them all out

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information everyone.These are very good points to bring up to the Captain.